Changing my entire front stage.

I still don't see why I wouldn't be able to enjoy it though?
What is causing me to not hear the difference at normal listening levels where the subs are not killing the front stage?
You said in you OP that your sub stage was demolishing your entire front stage. That leads me to believe that the improvement you'll get in midbass impact and midrange is going to be wasted with the sub stage unless you plan to go in and perform a retune, bringing down your sub level a bit. I'm not dissuading you from CDT for anything more than the price, though. Keep that in mind. They are great drivers.

To match that substage I would say run more power to the fronts, and go with 2 woofers per door and maybe some super tweets. Also PA speakers are an option if you don't want to do 2 woofers per door.

[quote name='neo_styles']Of course I wouldn't say that lol! But as far as piecing out a system with individual drivers, I would consider Dayton before CDT on the cost side of things. Obviously, that requires having active-capable crossovers which you could get if you upgraded the amp to something like the PPI Black Ice/Phantom lines or something similar. If you can only do passive, though, I'd say the HDs would suit you fine. No sense in the extra coin for the ES if you're not really going to be able to enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

Here's the issue with the lower-end CDT's, from what I have seen anyway: they don't like to handle being crossed lower at bigger power. The ES's will take a larger amount of power for sure, can be crossed lower, and will sound better doing it. Maybe @trumpet ; can confirm or deny this.

Man...you guys are killing me here. I really don't agree with telling someone to not get better speakers because they love loud bass so they'll go to waste. Would you tell someone to not buy a sub stage capable of big numbers if they'll only turn it up once in a blue moon?

Until we have car audio products shipping with engineering data sheets, we have to live with exaggerated specifications for power handling. Even so, there is always a need for the knowledge of proper system design, and part of that is figuring out how to properly power speakers for long life and great performance. Some of the good manufacturers publish recommendations for setting gains, speaker placement, and so on.

Little update.

Bought some stuff from a guy here on CA, and also ordered the rest from CDT.

Here will be my front stage.

CDT ES-62S-SQL Kit which is:

CDT Slim mid woofer

560i Crossover

ES-010 Silk Tweeter

WS-100i Upstage Tweeters

Then I ordered the ES-06 Mid bass drivers. I am going to put the slims in the rear doors, and run those bandpass. The 06's will go in the front doors running off the crossover.

Scored a Crescendo C1100.4 off CACO from Decaf, so that is going to be powering them.

I am happy.

Total cost for all that was 661 shipped. I think I did good.

^^^^

CDT speakers are ok

Unless you are new to car audio.

I had a pair of the ES-6 mids that I just gave away to friend.

I like the tonality at low levels, but at high levels distortion.

They lack midbass

HD has better midbass.

You never said what your budget is!

Or if you're adding deadener?

Your install makes the difference.

You can look into

Morel

Helix

Focal

Rainbow

Or piecing something together

Mids-

Dayton

Silver flute

Tweeters-

Seas

Vifa

Add processor & tune , tune, tune & tune then you'll be good

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.