Car sub in living room, yay no nay?

scottyk
10+ year member

lil' nig
NY
Hey all, I bought my mom a pair a bose bookshelf speakers for Christmas to replace her floor standing ones that are mad old. The new bose ones get just as loud and she wants to wall mount them to save room, only issue is they produce almost no bass compared to her old ones which had a 10 inch driver in each. I'm thinking of just getting her a low grade car audio sub and running it off of her receiver. Anyone have any experience with doing this? I used to run a small visonik 10 in a prefab sealed box in my room for fun and it would get loud enough to shake the walls before throwing the receiver into protect and shutting it off. I'm trying to keep the cost decently low and I ask about a car sub because actual home audio subs seem to be priced much higher from my research? Any suggestions? Anything online worth buying? I'm also looking for something already in a box, don't car if its prefab or not. Just not looking to spend 200+ on a 10 from bestbuy.

BTW, I tried searching already. Just gives me a white screen

Ya if your looking to spend 200 bucks, just buy a powered sub made for the home application. Period.

Running a sub off a receiver is not really a great idea. Unless it has a sub output channel for a sub, not a pre-out. Which by the sounds of it, it doesnt. I used to run a couple rockford HE2 subs on my reciever a long time ago, sure it worked and ususlly just went into protect, but one day it burnt the thing out, so eventually it will burn out more than likely.

Buy a cheap powered sub for 200 +/-

Ya if your looking to spend 200 bucks, just buy a powered sub made for the home application. Period.
Running a sub off a receiver is not really a great idea. Unless it has a sub output channel for a sub, not a pre-out. Which by the sounds of it, it doesnt. I used to run a couple rockford HE2 subs on my reciever a long time ago, sure it worked and ususlly just went into protect, but one day it burnt the thing out, so eventually it will burn out more than likely.

Buy a cheap powered sub for 200 +/-
I'll look for something online.

Also, let me clarify that I meant I'm not looking to buy a home audio woofer for 200+ from bestbuy. I don't buy car audio from there. Ever.

I'll look for something online.
Also, let me clarify that I meant I'm not looking to buy a home audio woofer for 200+ from bestbuy. I don't buy car audio from there. Ever.
Sorry i read that part wrong, i thought it said you were looking to spend 200 bucks.. My bad.

You can still find cheap powered subs for around 100 bucks. It may not get loud as ****, but it will do just fine. I highly doubt your mom is going to want/need anything more than that, but i could be wrong i guess haha..

Either way, buy a cheap powered sub vs a car audio sub unless you have a plate amp to power it with, which in the long run will cost more.

Sorry i read that part wrong, i thought it said you were looking to spend 200 bucks.. My bad.
You can still find cheap powered subs for around 100 bucks. It may not get loud as ****, but it will do just fine. I highly doubt your mom is going to want/need anything more than that, but i could be wrong i guess haha..

Either way, buy a cheap powered sub vs a car audio sub unless you have a plate amp to power it with, which in the long run will cost more.
Yeah she doesn't need super loud. Just right now her little living room set-up was supposed to get an upgrade from the speakers I bought and until she gets a sub it's certainly lacking

i used a sundown audio e8 in a t-line and an elemental designs lt.200 plate amplifier. the sub was a recone, i think i got it for around 60, the plate amp was on clearance for 95. it sounds really great, very smooth, gets deep. a ton of sound for a little sub.

i used a sundown audio e8 in a t-line and an elemental designs lt.200 plate amplifier. the sub was a recone, i think i got it for around 60, the plate amp was on clearance for 95. it sounds really great, very smooth, gets deep. a ton of sound for a little sub.
What exactly is a plate amp? Not familiar with that?

What exactly is a plate amp? Not familiar with that?
its just the style of amplifier used for home theater speakers/subs. it usually mounts right to the box. the "guts" of the amp are exposed, but on the inside of the box. the knobs, power cord, speaker inputs, etc, are mounted on a steel "plate".

Sub-rear.jpg

the back side of the amp, the "guts". its not the same amp pictured above, but hopefully you get the general idea. two of those wires are the leads that attach to and power the sub...

sub-plate-amp

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.