Car started filling with smoke last night...need help

Benschneider06

IL
Last night I was driving along and my car started filling with a lot of smoke. I pulled over and when I opened the trunk and a significant amount of smoke came out. My amp wasn't that hot either.

My system consists of

-4 farad boss capacitor

-Power Acoustik REP1-2700D (2700 watts max 1500 watts rms) gain at rms

-2 2012 12" type R's

-2 gauge welding cable from the battery to the cap

-4 gauge wire from the cap to the amp and the amp to the ground

-decent fan

My subs at this point were not functioning or even vibrating at the slightest. My fan and lights(connected to the remote in the amp) were on and functioning. They were even functioning when the amp was turned off by the breaker switch on my battery.

When I opened my amp up there wasn't any really big burn spots besides the bottom heat syncs were a little black.(I'm not sure if it was from this particular instance) [photo below]

The thing that really worrys me was the remote bass knob cord, RCA cords, and speaker wire running

under my carpet actually left a burn mark on the bottom of my carpet ( HOW?? WHY?? ) [photo below]

Does anyone know what could be wrong? Can I just order a new amp and it'll be fixed? Is it something worse?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well obviously you cooked something, either the amp or the subs (most likely the amp, Type R's are known for taking a beating). The carpet probably got burned from your speaker wires overheating. My guess is the gain was set to high and your output was clipped to hell and back.

Turn system back on and check for output voltage from the amp. If it's still functioning you will get AC voltage on the speaker outputs, if it's not they will read nothing.

If you're getting voltage pull the subs out and check the DC resistance of the voicecoils. If they're blown they'll probably read as open.

Report back with results.

Don't you think if the subs blew they would still vibrate a little when hooked up to the amp? The acted as if they were disconnected. The amp power light still came on though. I don't have a voltage meter, I used a buddy's when I built my setup

Don't you think if the subs blew they would still vibrate a little when hooked up to the amp? The acted as if they were disconnected. The amp power light still came on though. I don't have a voltage meter, I used a buddy's when I built my setup
if the smoke smelled like burned glue then it could be the subs. Hell it could be Everything thats blown. If you dont have a multi-meter, Ask a buddy with a system to let you hook his subs to your amp and your subs to his amp so you can see which one is blown. What head unit settings and amp gain/bass boost/crossover settings were you on?

I hooked up my buddy amp to my subs and they still work like a charm!

Ordering a Power Acoustik GT1-4500D (2700watt RMS 4500watt MAX)

Think that'll do a little better?

i hooked up my buddy amp to my subs and they still work like a charm!
Ordering a power acoustik gt1-4500d (2700watt rms 4500watt max)

think that'll do a little better?
Did you not learn anything?? Never buy garbage like power accoustik, boss, lanzar, pyle. Soundstorm etc... Never everrrrr!!!!

that amp would do 800 actual rms on its best most hopeful and lucky day. More then likely, it wont last long at all, it will end up like your current blown amp.

You will learn its better just to save your money and buy decent gear...After you fry a few subs/amps and actually buy something of quallity you will be kicking yourself in the nuts after you hear the quality in sound difference and see all the money wasted on junk gear you got laying around...I used to have a dream of this ****** "budget" system to only realize their is no such thing =p I guess everyones gotta start somewhere and learn somehow...best of luck

looks like you toasted some mosfets causing the rca's to overheat. I dont think I have ever seen an amp cause the rca's to do that. I am guessing its the rca's from the burn pattern and the location of the rca's from your pic. What kind of deck are you running in there? You might also want to double check the function of the rca's themselves to make sure you didnt cause damage to the deck as well.

My system consists of
-4 farad boss capacitor

-2 2012 12" type R's

-2 gauge welding cable from the battery to the cap

-4 gauge wire from the cap to the amp and the amp to the ground

-decent fan
-Power Acoustik.......gain at rms
lol

I hooked up my buddy amp to my subs and they still work like a charm!
Ordering a Power Acoustik GT1-4500D (2700watt RMS 4500watt MAX)

Think that'll do a little better?
Yeah, stick with Power Acoustic. It's certainly proven to be quality equipment for you. Are you ******* serious?

I remember when one night, when I had my cutlass, I was bumping hard rollin down the avenue when the whole car filled up with smoke. I mean I couldn't even see the road the smoke was so thick. I knew what had to be done, I had no choice. I pulled over, reached back and said - "let me hit that muthafucking blunt!"

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.