car speakers making quick sharp popping sound

Participant count
  • Participant list

bassmaker350

so i have a boss pv3700 5 channel amp (and yes i know boss but i didn't have all the money in the world to spend on an amp) a pair of kickers ds series in front and back 6x9 and 5 1/4 speakers and a Rockford fosgate p2 12 inch in the back. just installed the sub and amp(speakers have been used for a few months) and the amp is powering all the speakers, when i turn the volume up and a big bass note hits i hear a quick sharp pop sound from im assuming the speakers (since i ran them pretty hard before i got the amp) i want to know what is making this popping sound and how can i fix it because i know its harmful to my speakers so i want to fix the problem.(and before this amp i had the 6x9s hooked up to a 800 watt boss amp ran them hard in my mind). and just for refernce a sound it popped on was the song so dope by tech n9ne at the first bass drop

yeah u need to use hp xover 100hz on speakers and lp xover 80hz on sub and gain shouldn't be at 90%.. like tahoe said u need better amp.. give me just a little bit of budget i can find u 2 much better amps for not much $, look an fb and cl in your area find amp., let us see it we'll tell if if it worth a crap.. i seen kenwood and alpine 4 channel amps on cl or fb for free if u buy the $100 mono.. i'm cheapest guy on here i don't even have a amp on my speakers and i wouldn't put a boss in my car if u gave it to me $50 to install it in my own car i'd be like "nah my hu is stronger and cleaner than the boss amp"..

It could be several things causing it, the amp is a low end amp as we all know but did this just start when you installed the new boss 5 channel amp? Is that what you are trying to say? Could be install error, just a crappy amp, pushing it to hard, clipping, not setup correctly. I understand being on a budget, but I would look into atleast a cheap nvx amp. Nvx amps are cheap but they do rated.

Thank you everyone for the feedback. But my speaker gains as set pretty a lot lower then the sub if that makes any sense. When I get the chance I’ll get some pictures of everything on the install that may prove useful. And my sub gain is set low since it’s a new sub and I wanted to slowlys break it in. Can never be to sure if it helps or not. And my speaker wiring for the front speaker are ran up the inner kick panels. Which didn’t have to much room after power and rca(and power and rca are on separate sides of the car). So could it maybe be the screws for the kick panels dig into the speaker wire by chance. And I need to learn how to properly set the hz

(Sorry for long replies and thread,just want to make sure I can ask a lot of questions to learn a lot and fix my mistakes, because car audio is something I enjoy doing very much)

And I forgot to mention I’ll be needed a capacitor since engine noise is leaking into the amp into the speakers. Just a whining sound. Any recommendations for a capictor that won’t break the bank and work good.

And I forgot to mention I’ll be needed a capacitor since engine noise is leaking into the amp into the speakers. Just a whining sound. Any recommendations for a capictor that won’t break the bank and work good.
I don't think a capacitor is gonna help you in that situation bud.

Thank you everyone for the feedback. But my speaker gains as set pretty a lot lower then the sub if that makes any sense. When I get the chance I’ll get some pictures of everything on the install that may prove useful. And my sub gain is set low since it’s a new sub and I wanted to slowlys break it in. Can never be to sure if it helps or not. And my speaker wiring for the front speaker are ran up the inner kick panels. Which didn’t have to much room after power and rca(and power and rca are on separate sides of the car). So could it maybe be the screws for the kick panels dig into the speaker wire by chance. And I need to learn how to properly set the hz
(Sorry for long replies and thread,just want to make sure I can ask a lot of questions to learn a lot and fix my mistakes, because car audio is something I enjoy doing very much)
Set your HP filter around 120hz and lower it till you repeat the issue once... then raise it till it goes away... that'll get you close... that song does got some lows... I'd bet that setting the HP higher fixes the speaker pop issue... the engine noise tho... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suicide.gif.a649d21efc0d1fd4890a6428166586c1.gif

Well the engine noise can be filtered out by a capacitor. It’s what they do. And the store power.
try better ground, make sure no paint under ground wire and it's not loose then try a different rca., just run it across the seats see if noise is better if so it's bad rca or where it's ran..

And I forgot to mention I’;ll be needed a capacitor since engine noise is leaking into the amp into the speakers. Just a whining sound. Any recommendations for a capictor that won’t break the bank and work good.
wut...lol

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 PM ----------

Well the engine noise can be filtered out by a capacitor. It’s what they do. And the store power.
nope...capacitors don't filter out noise at all. Go read up on their purpose.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.