Car Setup

Weldingiron

CarAudio.com Newbie
I am looking at options for my 85 Monte Carlo and have a couple questions to run by the group. In case it makes a difference, rich sound quality over volume is my goal. There are currently four speakers in the car, two in the front and two in the back but they make aftermarket panels to add them to the kick panels, doors, and rear quarter panels. A head unit I am considering (the USA-740) has pre-outs for an amp as well as RCA outputs to go directly to speakers. I am considering adding four speakers and running the original locations (with upgraded speakers) from the pre-outs through an amp and new panel speakers on the RCA outputs.

1. Is that a feasible setup?

2. If yes, is there anything to be gained from the additional four speakers or is it just a waste of money?

3. I am very new to this, and some kind of overwhelmed so any additional input about any of it is welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Todd

Imo, I think it's overkill. I have not used rear speakers in quite some time and am quite content with my setups. It is easier and cheaper to install and fine tune. My go to setup is mids in the doors and highs in the a-pillars or sails. I have been reading on this forum that for best sq results, sound deadening is as important as the equipment you use. I have never done that, so my next xp points will come from messing with dynamat. Good luck.

I am looking at options for my 85 Monte Carlo and have a couple questions to run by the group. In case it makes a difference, rich sound quality over volume is my goal. There are currently four speakers in the car, two in the front and two in the back but they make aftermarket panels to add them to the kick panels, doors, and rear quarter panels. A head unit I am considering (the USA-740) has pre-outs for an amp as well as RCA outputs to go directly to speakers. I am considering adding four speakers and running the original locations (with upgraded speakers) from the pre-outs through an amp and new panel speakers on the RCA outputs.

1. Is that a feasible setup?

2. If yes, is there anything to be gained from the additional four speakers or is it just a waste of money?

3. I am very new to this, and some kind of overwhelmed so any additional input about any of it is welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Todd

highs in the a-pillars or sails. I have been reading on this forum that for best sq results, sound deadening is as important as the equipment you use.

Exactly, these are where the focus should be.

I've run speakers in the rear deck, never rear doors in any of my vehicles but I can tell you in my current car there's no bass from the back and I never noticed with a subwoofer. My previous car I would have greatly missed the rear speakers, but that was only because of the inadequacies of my front door speakers. In my opinion the front doors are the most important ones to get right and the largest part of making them sound as good as they can be (and taking advantage of an upgrade) is to add sound deadening. The pillars tweeter thing is also important for overall sound quality because ideally for highs you'll have an unimpeded pathway from your ear to the tweeter that's as far away as possible. The 2 spots that work the best are the pillars on the sides of the windshield or in the very corner of the front door windows. If the car offers no custom panels to make that possible then the next best thing is to get good speakers in the front doors, tweeters will be wasted facing the ceiling in the rear. If I was going to add anything back there it would be 6x9" or 7/8" woofers and ideally they'd have built-in boxes underneath them.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I am struggling to find anything designed for the car to get tweeters on the pillars. Or anywhere for that matter. It seems the smallest housings I can find for the car are designed for 4” speakers. When I replaced the headliner I did line the roof with vibration dampening material and a layer of sound proofing/thermal blocking foam. Is it possible using stock locations (and maybe adding door locations) to get a decent sound out of coaxials? It may just be my lack of experience but it seems like the sound system was an afterthought at best when GM designed these cars.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I am struggling to find anything designed for the car to get tweeters on the pillars. Or anywhere for that matter. It seems the smallest housings I can find for the car are designed for 4” speakers. When I replaced the headliner I did line the roof with vibration dampening material and a layer of sound proofing/thermal blocking foam. Is it possible using stock locations (and maybe adding door locations) to get a decent sound out of coaxials? It may just be my lack of experience but it seems like the sound system was an afterthought at best when GM designed these cars.
Luckily my GN had the concert sound so I got door pods . I used those for my old school Lightning Audio Neo 5 1/4 mids a perfect fit with minor mods .. i built plates for the tweeters out of abs and put them in the stock dash location...usually I dont keep rear fill ..but in the GN I did .. I built a new rear deck plate and I'm thinking i used the stock 4x10s on deck power ...i have a single elemental designs 12 in a ported box in the rear ... overall really good sound . If i wouldnt of had the factory door pods ..I'd done kick panels for 6.5 components and had even better sound ...the rears arnt really needed ... i put those in back in 2007 and they are still working..if they ever go out ..I'll just remove them completely so the sub can vent more into the cabin . I ordered a new 120a alty for my GN last night ...

id just do front speakers, put em in the doors. deaden them and amp em

forget rears. put in a good sub.. done

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.