Car has factory 0 gauge installed (big 3), do I need to or nah?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Dr. Slam
10+ year member

Slamming hoes n trunks...
7nauzHC.jpg

FgHGXlO.jpg

And it's fused at 300a. Stock electrical can't be pulling that many watts with the battery that's under the hood. I'm gonna be running ~2000 watts with a sundown 2000. From the looks of it I don't think it's necessary to upgrade but that's why I asking you guys.

I'm upgrading the stock battery and throwing another one in the trunk with a pos + neg run of 0g welding wire.

Car is a 2014 impala and I bought it new

Last edited by a moderator:
Hook it up and monitor your voltages. You'll know pretty quick if you need to add. Does it have 1/0 + run to the alt as well?
Yea that's the wire that's fused at 300a.

I have a volt meter that I'm installing with everything else today. So ill keep an eye on that, I just thought it was weird that stock wiring was overkill like it is and was wondering if anyone knew why.

I can't see stock electrical pulling that many amps

Some cars are just built better. My 2010 Camaro had 1/0 from the factory. Might be 2 gauge but in any case it was large enough I didn't need to worry about fussing with it.

Maybe it was planned that way for cop cars? Although chevy is using the caprice in that regard... Either way, it definitely a bonus!
This makes the most sense. Since this car and the camaro have police models

There's extra spots on the battery for terminals and everything, maybe the alternator is higher output as well and I really lucked out. I'll be finding out real soon

I would think that two good AGM batteries and a HO alt would be plenty, I also was surprised to see a car with 0 gauge from the factory.

Think about it logically though, they're not going to put 0 gauge ofc copper in a car unless its a part of a package. that much copper is a lot of money for the mfg. could of been an add on option for companies that use those cars with a bunch of electronics, i remember an insurance adjuster showing me they had to run a huge inverter at idle for their printer and laptop etc and it killed batts

This makes the most sense. Since this car and the camaro have police models
There's extra spots on the battery for terminals and everything, maybe the alternator is higher output as well and I really lucked out. I'll be finding out real soon
Lucky Bastard!

btw how do you replace those fuses? looks like you have to replace the entire tray?
Idk Breh I was thinking the same exact thing earlier but I would hope they wouldn't have designed it that way. I'm guessing the measurements may have something to do with replacing them but who knows

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.