Car Audio Subs for Home Theater

Participant count
  • Participant list
If you know of any threads that this has been addressed, please link them here. I did a search and didnt find anything.
Search is phukkd up i think. The subs don't know if they are in a car or house. The enclosures are usually tuned lower if it is for home theater use. For music, the tuning is about the same. Corner loading or down-firing gives good results. As long as you have the correct impedance for the amplifier, they will work fine. Most home amps are rated for 8ohms per channel, so check and wire to the correct ohm load.

Main reason I am asking, is that Fi has a black friday sale going on where the 12" fi.x's are on sale for $75. Most car subs are built alot tougher for the extremes of the car audio enviroment and I believe (could be wrong on this) they are built for more excursion cause you need more to get the same sound in small spaces like a car cabin. Just wondering if I am overkilling it and maybe should just get some $30 sub from part express for the home.

You can get a complete home sub with amp built in for ~$150/shipped from Partsexpress, they have some more and some less. Kinda makes spending almost that much just for subs seem dumb, maybe it's just me?

Main reason I am asking, is that Fi has a black friday sale going on where the 12" fi.x's are on sale for $75. Most car subs are built alot tougher for the extremes of the car audio enviroment and I believe (could be wrong on this) they are built for more excursion cause you need more to get the same sound in small spaces like a car cabin. Just wondering if I am overkilling it and maybe should just get some $30 sub from part express for the home.
That's what I'd do. Then again, there are speaker companies that use the same subs for both applications, TC, eD, Mach5, ect. ect. If you build your own, tune low. That way you get the full effect of the sound (if using for a HT setup), of explosions and such.

and I believe (could be wrong on this) they are built for more excursion cause you need more to get the same sound in small spaces like a car cabin.
You would definatly be wrong on that one...

If FI has some suitable subs on the cheap I wouldn't hesitate...

You would definatly be wrong on that one...
If FI has some suitable subs on the cheap I wouldn't hesitate...
So why is it, that all of the expensive subs on parts express have an xmax of 14mm or less and the cheapest Fi sub has 16mm. I am not including the TC sounds drivers, cause they are in a category all by themselves.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.