Car audio horror stories

GTSQ

CarAudio.com Recruit
Jun 28, 2020
Idaho
Share your nightmare install/system stories?

I had a neighbor that used cheap inadequate wiring on his install. I warned him about it especially because he was using a cap. So one day I come out of the house and see smoke coming out of his garage. Car burnt to the ground!
I was mad because I did a bunch of fiberglass work on it for free.
Then he buys a little Saturn. I helped him build a full trunk enclosure for a 15 vented through the rear dash. We get it finished and two days later the dipshit parks it on the street! Next morning he goes outside and it’s gone. My wife said that he was crying that morning.

Popwarhomie

CarAudio.com Elite VIP
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Jan 22, 2010
FL
My teammate put a hole in the surround of one of my 12s mounting it...

That's all I got.

• Wow
Reactions: Bobbytwonames

Popwarhomie

CarAudio.com Elite VIP
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Jan 22, 2010
FL
It wasn't noticeable and didn't effect anything. Honest mistake. But rookie move.

Slo_Ride

Regulator
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA
I have none. I'm not a dumbass.

GTSQ

CarAudio.com Recruit
Jun 28, 2020
Idaho
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah I thought I made a mistake once. As it turned out I was mistaken!

Bobbytwonames

Angry Old Man
Aug 28, 2018
Vegas
I got my Dodge washed and detailed yesterday. On the way home I thought that I had blown all my mids and highs. Come to find out the guy vacuuming my truck out switched the crossover from high pass to low pass on the amp. Shitt happens!

GTSQ

CarAudio.com Recruit
Jun 28, 2020
Idaho
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I had an Alpine deck in a 79 Trans am back in the 90’s. I secured the back of the deck to the firewall with a cable. Some scumbag tried to steal it. When they could not get it out they stabbed the hell out of my one piece dash with a screwdriver. I never did that again.

Slo_Ride

Regulator
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA

Coolhand20th

CarAudio.com Elite
Mar 27, 2019
Wisconsin
Someone here joined and posted this back in 2019 iirc & asked why his subwoofers wouldn't work. Look at where the speaker wires are. Not too mention "Dual" amplifier,lol good ole Walmart garbage!

• Haha
Reactions: Popwarhomie

Kickstand

CarAudio.com Regular
Jan 1, 2021
Maple Ridge
This didn't happen to me so to speak but I was present for it.
I installed an amp and subs in a buddies car.
The amp was old school 90's so it has a dongle on the side for the speaker wire but it was 10+ years old and both sides of the dongle were gone so there were just wires coming out of a hole on the side.
A few moths down the road I managed to get my hands on both sides of the speaker wire Molex so I was going to put it in for him.
He showed up one morning to get it done but I had go out for an hour but my room mate said he would do it. He was a mobile appliance tech for sears and well schooled in car audio so I left them to do it and said I would be back in an hour.
I came back to a sh*t show.
He put the speaker wire plug in just fine but then decided he wanted to re wire the power and ground.
The power wire was fine but the ground wire would not come off the board.
To the extent that he pushed so long and hard with the soldering iron on it that melted the board around the ground destroying the amp.
The amp in question was an old school Rodek RA2300. The original more squared ones with all the little fins.
Not something that could easily be replaced.
Morel of the story, if it isn't broken don't fix it.

SlugButter

CarAudio.com Veteran
Nov 5, 2019
arizona
witnessed a Pyle sub actually being used in a real car once. It flopped around like a fish in a box I made from beautiful birch. I probably killed a unicorn that day. I can still recall covering my horror with a smile when he said “it sounds really good”......as he drove away bumping salt-n-peppa. My faith in all of humanity was lost that day.

• Haha
Reactions: GTSQ and Ridinhi

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)

Latest posts

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds