Capacitor!!!

zimmer82
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
all that i see on this forum are people thrashing caps. i dont personally have one but a couple of my friends do to help deal with the dimming/eletrical problems with their rides.

my question is....what are their purposes and do they actually work?

Why does everyone thrash on them?

my question is....what are their purposes and do they actually work?Why does everyone thrash on them?
As electrical components on PCB's, they work just fine. A capacitor (or several) is often times used in power supplies to smooth transients on the voltage rails.

The problem that we run into are people using them to smooth large voltage drops with huge amounts of capacitance (.5 farad, 1 farad)...used in this manner, caps aren't as effective as everyone seems to want them to be.

^^

Yeah, what he said, with more verbage.

todays amps have more than capable designed power supplies- caps were a boner in the 80's where one cannot say the same- boner never died i suppose

As electrical components on PCB's, they work just fine. A capacitor (or several) is often times used in power supplies to smooth transients on the voltage rails.
The problem that we run into are people using them to smooth large voltage drops with huge amounts of capacitance (.5 farad, 1 farad)...used in this manner, caps aren't as effective as everyone seems to want them to be.

^^

Yeah, what he said, with more verbage.
x600,000,000

a bigger alt is the best thing though your still going to have a lack of the transision from any battery when it is called apon and a cap is not a bad thing to have if your not running a second battery because of the long run the power wire will make. Though there is really no other thing you can do in place of a cap used properly. You said something about the Batt caps I to would like to know this because I have looked and looked and no one can truely answer me if the batt cap works like the cap would be used. It seems it is still a wet acid cell battery and sealed off. I have to think it has thin plates but it is still a battery so because of the plates and the dialectric dose it still have a reletively low transision responce or no? annd using a better battrery or another battery instade of getting a cap will not help it can make it worse depending on what type of battery. A yellow top will have slower transision responce than a red top because of the thicker plates. so it would be worse if ti nis a battery with a quick transion responce that it is upgraded to then it could be. But it still would not fix the problem. And all that dimming of the lights is it because the alt can not supply power and the amp is asking for to much power battery wasn't ready so when it did see the load it was loaded harder than needed the cap will help this by smoothing out transision responce will it not?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.