Can't adjust (or see) Alpine settings ...

Participant count
  • Participant list

harlon
10+ year member

Texas
I has someone install a new Alpine HU (IXA-W407). I also had him install a PAC. But I can't see any of my display settings. Can't adjust the clock or anything, even if I do the brake tap-dance. I'm guessing something is wired wrong, obviously, but does anyone have an idea of where he might have went wrong before I open it up and start looking? I could take it back and he'd look at it, but it's a good drive and if I can fix it myself it would be much easier.

Ideas? Thanks.

Couple things for you. First, I'm not too familiar with your w407. I do have a w505 so I'd imagine they are similar.

I never had my unit wired up the way its supposed to be factory. IE, I bought mine with the TR-7 bypass, so I don't have to fool around with ebrakes, brake pedals or any of that stuff. I'm assuming, since you didn't mention that (only PAC, Ipod integration or something?? I've never used it so I'm not even sure what it is //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif)that you don't have that bypass... Might be something you would want to look into for your model.

From my understanding, to use the video portion of your head unit (has video doesn't it?), the ebrake has to be engaged. That in turn grounds something in the harness and allows for additional features (video, etc) to be viewed... can't be driving and watching movies, right? Why that would be the case for your clock and whatnot, I have no idea. In fact, it might have nothing to do with it at all //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Assuming this has DVD video capabilities, does video work on it? I was having trouble with video, and overall features when I installed my head unit also. I bought it used and thought it was broken, so I wasn't too happy. After feverishly going through the manual I found that there were two switches on the unit itself that needed to be in the opposite position. I flipped the switches and everything works as it should.

So while I don't know if you're having the same problems I did, you can atleast give these a try. Also the bypass is a good investment for future reference.

Michael

I'm sorry - by PAC I indeed meant the TR-7 bypass (my apologies, I've seen it called both).

The 407 does not have DVD, but it does play video from the iPod/ iPhone. It will not allow that without the brake engaged. I also can't adjust any settings - including the clock, background, etc - without the brake engaged. I had him install the TR-7 so I could avoid all of that. But strangely, now I can't even make the adjustments after doing the brake procedure (as written in the manual). I had the IVA-W205 installed in my Tundra, and I could make all adjustments - after doing the brake thing. So i am familiar with it, but now ... nothing.

Gotcha.. you know what, I remember when I was shopping around for the head unit and bypass, it was also called PAC as well as TR-7... So my fault on that.

Who is your installer? Friend? Local shop?

I'm not positive on this since I bought my stuff used, meaning all this was done for me. But I was under the impression that the bypass had to be configured to work. I know theres an on/off switch on the bypass itself, and then there was some configuration process with it. I can't say I'm positive of this because I never actually had to do it. Maybe you could find out if he configured it properly, which I don't think consists of flipping the 'on' switch, but a more in depth process to make it work.

Just a thought,

Michael

Sounds like he attempted to by-pass the safety feature and it has come loose all you have to do for the by-pass is hook the e-brake lead to the turn on lead for the HU, when you engage the parking brake it sends a 12v signal to the reverse lights and what not and the radio picks up that signal so hooking that wire to any 12v source will trick the radio into thinking the parking brake is engaged.

I did a quick search for see if I could shed some light - I found that without the TR-7, the unit will exhibit the problems you're having... except doing the brake procedure should allow access to those features.

Doing another search, here is the programming process you should make sure was done properly:

"

Make sure your PAC-TR7 is revision 1.1.2 or greater! The ONLY way to tell if it is 1.1.2 or greater is by looking at the bottom left hand corner of the instructions that came with your PAC unit. It will say something like “SW 1.2.4.”

IF at ANY point you mess up during this process unhook the red power line, turn your PAC switch off and then back on, reattach power and start over. READ THE ENTIRE INSTRUCTION SET before starting. You have to be pretty quick, and if you wait too long between steps you have to start over.

Take your pac out and strip the leads, make sure none of the leads touch each other.

Turn the switch to your PAC ON.

Attach the black lead to ground and the red lead to an unswitched positive source.

Touch the brown wire to ground (wherever the black wire is hooked up will do) 17 times. You will see the red light flash every time you touch.

Wait 3 seconds

The red light on the PAC should now flash 17 times, MAKE SURE it flashes 17 times.

Touch brown to ground once

Wait 3 seconds for the red light to flash quickly for a second.

Wait 3 more seconds for the red light to flash 2 sets of light flashes quickly

Wait 3 more seconds for the red light to flash 3 sets of light flashes quickly

Touch the brown wire to ground 3 times.

Confirm the red light flashes 3 times

Wait 3 seconds for the light to flash 4 sets of light flashes quickly followed by rapidly flashing lights.

You have now completed programming. You have just programmed your PAC-TR7 to pulse once after 3 seconds when on a constant trigger. Now TURN OFF the PAC-TR7 switch. " --- All credit goes to rlith @ blazinlow.com's forum as I just cut and pasted this from his post.

Michael

Ok - this morning when I turned on my radio everything was working. I could see all of my settings, I tried playing video from my iPod and it worked. The bypass was obviously working.

Then about 30 minutes later I got back in my truck and it was not working again.

So what would make the bypass work one time and not work another? Loose connection?

Ok - this morning when I turned on my radio everything was working. I could see all of my settings, I tried playing video from my iPod and it worked. The bypass was obviously working.
Then about 30 minutes later I got back in my truck and it was not working again.

So what would make the bypass work one time and not work another? Loose connection?
Yep, or the bypass itself is faulty. Usually when something electronic works intermittently, its either a loose connection, or a heat build-up issue.

Yep, or the bypass itself is faulty. Usually when something electronic works intermittently, its either a loose connection, or a heat build-up issue.
So, I'm presuming since it did work (even if only once) it can not be a programming issue with the TR-7, correct?

Well atleast you know its probably not with the head unit itself. Intermittent issues like that is likely an internal fault with the tr-7 or wiring issue.

My apologies - I meant to follow up sooner on this.

In conclusion, after removing the HU I found several wires that were connected wrong. The odd thing is, I have no idea how it could have worked that one time, but I swear it did! Anyhow, thanks for all your help. With all the info I gathered from this forum, finding the problem was pretty simple once I took a look.

Happy ending! Thank a lot!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.