Can someone confirm this amp setting?

Participant count
  • Participants list

germanyt
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Taramps 8000 2ohm. Volume on 38 out of 40 with 3.8vac at the rca. Solid electrical sitting at 13.8 volts with a 50hz 0db test tone. All eq settings flat, bass boost off, loud off. By my math I need to see about 140vac out of the speaker terminals so I did but gain is under 1/4 if the way up. A turn to halfway shows over 240vac so it got me to thinking that if 140 gets me to nearly 8k rms how can this amp even reach a 240vac output. Even if it is clipped to hell. Just wanted someone to verify. I dont do a lot of gain setting because normally I just build the box and dont have a lot to do with the installation.

Taramps 8000 2ohm. Volume on 38 out of 40 with 3.8vac at the rca. Solid electrical sitting at 13.8 volts with a 50hz 0db test tone. All eq settings flat, bass boost off, loud off. By my math I need to see about 140vac out of the speaker terminals so I did but gain is under 1/4 if the way up. A turn to halfway shows over 240vac so it got me to thinking that if 140 gets me to nearly 8k rms how can this amp even reach a 240vac output. Even if it is clipped to hell. Just wanted someone to verify. I dont do a lot of gain setting because normally I just build the box and dont have a lot to do with the installation.
Its not lying to you, you have to completely lower the sub level to keep it clean. Id actually advise you to use the clip indicator with your heaviest hitting music instead of a multimeter. Multimeter setting got me bad clipping on my banda or either pigeonholed me out of output. The clipping indicator was MUCH Safer.

I had the gain at 15 % on my banda 7k.

47 out of 62 headunit volume and sub level -6 or -7

Its not lying to you, you have to completely lower the sub level to keep it clean. Id actually advise you to use the clip indicator with your heaviest hitting music instead of a multimeter. Multimeter setting got me bad clipping on my banda or either pigeonholed me out of output. The clipping indicator was MUCH Safer.
I had the gain at 15 % on my banda 7k.

47 out of 62 headunit volume and sub level -6 or -7
Ok well that nakes me feel more confident. The clip meter is installed and seems to work okay. But until now the headunit rarely made it past vol 14 so the gains were turned up to try to make the most of the low preout voltage the amp was seeing. Preout voltage at vol 14 was like 0.4 volts. At vol 38 its 3.8. Massive difference

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.