can I set up a system in my home?

Participant count
  • Participant list

mrpep

CarAudio.com Elite
chicago
For turds and giggles and I think it would be cool . Can I connect 3 12'' woofers to a 2000 watt amp, a second amp - 4 channels - mids and a head unit in a home and actually be able to rock out with it? How would I be able to set this up?

Get an amp/receiver that's meant for the home and run off of the standard 115VAC provided by an outlet. Make sure the subs are wired to an impedance the amp can handle.

Trying to use car amps in the home is more trouble (and money) then it's worth.

I agree with Umbra. Trying to get car audio stuff to work correctly in home setups is expensive, and quite pointless imho. The basics are, to get that kind of wattage out of your house, you either need to get some plate amps meant for pro/home audio (for subwoofers).. Or hook up an AGM battery or two to your amps and you can listen to them for a while. Only temporary, as they would discharge and need to be recharged. Going through all this trouble just to listen to your stuff in your house is really pointless. If you want that kind of bass in your house, just spend your time building a low-tuned sub box and get a good driver to put in it with a plate amp.

I agree with Umbra. Trying to get car audio stuff to work correctly in home setups is expensive, and quite pointless imho. The basics are, to get that kind of wattage out of your house, you either need to get some plate amps meant for pro/home audio (for subwoofers).. Or hook up an AGM battery or two to your amps and you can listen to them for a while. Only temporary, as they would discharge and need to be recharged. Going through all this trouble just to listen to your stuff in your house is really pointless. If you want that kind of bass in your house, just spend your time building a low-tuned sub box and get a good driver to put in it with a plate amp.
Yeah it seems silly I guess. I just cant let go of these RF woofers.

Rockford Fosgate HE2 RFP4212 12" Dual 4-ohm Voice Coil Component Subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

I bought 3 for 200 and I wont even throw them in my car cause I have a nice JL in there but I cant let them go. These old school type woofers are like little trophies to me. I would love to set them u in my basement.

I would only do it if you have spare agm battery laying around that you dont mind sacrificing, a powerful battery charger 2 amp/10 amp/25/amp/75/amp options. Along with all the stuff you want to run with accessories to install it. It'll pretty much shorten the lifespan of that battery but it'll work.

I'm doing that right now actually, building a soundbar out of leftover 6.5 and 6x9 speakers + a 15 inch sub and some amps. I have an idgaf battery that will basically be my core charge when i buy a new agm under the hood. Basically costing me RCAs since i already have everything else. I would not do it if you have to buy any of these options since its expensive.

$30 for 360w of 12v adjustable voltage power. I've used them before for setups in house and no problems. You can wire up multiple in parallel to increase the available current just as you can with batteries.

DC 12V 5A 10A 15A 20A 30A Regulated Transformer Power Supply for LED Strip USA | eBay

By the way, you don't need anywhere near 2,000w for a in house setup. I was running a single 12 off 300w and it got way louder than I would ever need it to be.

$30 for 360w of 12v adjustable voltage power. I've used them before for setups in house and no problems. You can wire up multiple in parallel to increase the available current just as you can with batteries.
DC 12V 5A 10A 15A 20A 30A Regulated Transformer Power Supply for LED Strip USA | eBay

By the way, you don't need anywhere near 2,000w for a in house setup. I was running a single 12 off 300w and it got way louder than I would ever need it to be.
are these regulated at 14.4 and go down or are like computer PSU's and start at 12 volt and drop from there?

I might look for a stereo receiver on craigslist that can handle 4ohms and set it up that way. These RF woofers look sharp with the chrome centers. I gotta get them up and going .

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.