Can I run 2000 watts on the stock 120 AMP ALT?

Hey guys I'm new here and I have a couple questions. Can I run a 2000 watt Hifonics Brutus amp without a HO ALT? If so, a extra XS Power battery and the big three would be completely necessary right? I would rather not purchase a HO alternator. Additional info- 120 Amp stock ALT and im having current (pun) light dimming issues with my 930 watt kicker amp with my completely stock electrical system (no extra battery or big three upgrade) This is a 2001 GTI Golf hatchback.

Please reply I would really appreciate it. I'm one to spend hours researching before asking a question.

Is your battery stock? If so that could be the cause of the dimming, that or you're clipping the hell out of the signal causing massive voltage drops.

But for your question, theoretically with the Big 3, an upgraded battery upfront and an extra in the back you could run it. You'll still very likely see voltage drops, but shouldn't be incredibly dangerous. I just wouldn't play it too much at full tilt while idle.

I appreciate your input Fatboytyler. My battery is in fact stock. I think I'll keep a volt gauge up front to keep an eye on it and get used to the drops and rises in volts. I will also make sure to be careful while at idle showing my system off //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

You are welcome. I am certainly no genius on the matter, hopefully someone with more knowledge will input. I know my 100Amp Alternator handles a little over 800W without any voltage drop. I don't have the Big 3, but I do have a large lead acid upfront.

But yes, certainly perform a battery upgrade and the Big 3 and monitor the voltages!

I've run 2500 on my stock alt before with regular big bat up front and a kinetic 2400 in back and never had a problem. but every car acts different.

Go ahead and do your due diligence with the big 3. See how it reacts then and if poorly, step up with an AGM batt. I have a Duralast Gold lead acid batt in my cherokee on a stock alt and it is somehow powering a JBL GTO24001 pretty well.

Hell I ran a kx2500.1 at 1ohm with a 100amp alt 4gauge wiring 1 group 27 factory batt and 1 120ah agm in the back and I only had slight dimming but I couldnt run It for long at idle or my voltage would drop dangerously

well, aint no point in upgrading the battery if the alternator cant supply a proper amount of current to it when its called on for it by the amplifier. I see many people always urging those to "buy a big AGM battery" when you really should invest in a alternator made by a reputable company. I have had my DC alt 270xp for 4 years now... love it. Stock wet cell battery, no voltage drop in my current setup.

Clifs. Buy an alt, better ROI (return on investment)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.