Can I has SQ?

surrealmethod
10+ year member

Miami
I bought my Infiniti FX35 a few weeks ago and the Bose system has two 6" subs that I feel are inadequate... I don't mean they just need to pop a blue V pill, but I feel that a pump, pills, topical creams, and quit possibly some weights are in order.

So I'm looking to expand my system with a new sub. I know this is my first post, but I assure you that I searched this forum and I feel that I have not found the answer I'm looking for.

I want a sub for purely SQ. I don't ride around with my windows down trying to pick up hunnies with my car as the floor vibrates enough that their thongs slide down. I just want super clean tight bass... I guess like Billy Mays taking a tub of Oxyclean to OJ's glove... yes... exactly like that.

I like to jam to death metal double bass one minute, then switch to some classical Bach, followed by Howard Stern, which probably leads to some Tupac or Sir Mix A lot, and ending with dubstep or my 1990's Bassercist CD track 11: Phantom of the Bass. In other words, I need a sub that can handle every type of scenario. I would probably be listening to the Spice channel on XM to hear some girl moan but I still have the trial period... so maybe in a month or 2. Hopefully I don't walk into work with a massive woody as her throaty grunt sounds cause the bass to tickle my nether regions.

The car has plenty of room in the back, I don't have any limits, but wouldn't want a box that occupies the whole back. I mean, I guess a good dimension would be the inverse cosine of 1.7pi raised to e divided by the natural log of zero nano meters cubed.

I guess I don't know enough about woofers to decide if I need an 8, 10, 12, or 15. I just don't want to walk up to my lady friend and say... you want to look at my 6" woofer? I would feel more confident if I said a bigger number.

I don't have a budget, but I think I should be able to achieve what I'm looking for if I spend about $700 for sub, amp, box, and installation at local shop. I would rather stick with 1 sub instead of 2.

My requirements:

1. Sub has excellent range with little distortion

2. Amp has a remote gain knob that I can hide so I can raise the gain when jamming to bump and grind but lower the gain when listening to talk radio.

3. Box will be custom... but I don't know from who. Any recommendations on where to get a real sharp looking box would be appreciated.

My questions:

1. What size sub generally produces the highest SQ?

2. What brands should I be looking for my amp and sub?

3. Does a sealed box offer the highest SQ if not, then what?

Please make recommendations... I plan on purchasing everything in the next week or 2. My work commute is 1.5 hours each way, and the Bose is killing me.

I don't know much about SQ but I've heard of the IDQ as being a very SQ oriented subwoofer, look at Image Dynamics in general I suppose.

I'm not sure how much size plays into the SQ of a sub, perhaps a smaller size means less moving mass therefore efficiency increases and blah blah blah.

Both sealed and ported can be good or bad for SQ depending on the box you make and if it's the right size for the driver. Ported boxes get a bit more complicated when you considering port size and length to tune the box.

I didn't help you too much, but i hope i helped some. Again, i'm not really an SQ guy...maybe SQ in training lol

*applause*

Start by searching for a desirable BL curve and minimized distortion. Reviews can help a lot as well. Unfortunately, SQ can be a perception.

Also, what vehicle? Many people find "Car Infinite Baffles" quite ear-friendly. Trunks make it relatively simple. Baffle, seal, seal some more.

*applause*
Start by searching for a desirable BL curve and minimized distortion. Reviews can help a lot as well. Unfortunately' date=' SQ can be a perception.

Also, what vehicle? Many people find "Car Infinite Baffles" quite ear-friendly. Trunks make it relatively simple. Baffle, seal, seal some more.[/quote']

I'm a noob and can't post URL's yet. But I have an infiniti FX35 stock Bose system. The FX35, is a crossover SUV. Same chassis as the Nissan Murano.

*applause*
Start by searching for a desirable BL curve and minimized distortion. Reviews can help a lot as well. Unfortunately' date=' SQ can be a perception.

Also, what vehicle? Many people find "Car Infinite Baffles" quite ear-friendly. [b']Trunks make it relatively simple[/b]. Baffle, seal, seal some more.
eh, i wouldn't say that.

I didn't help you too much, but i hope i helped some. Again, i'm not really an SQ guy...maybe SQ in training lol

You helped a lot. Thanks!

I plan on getting the box built, I know there are a few members on this board that build some.

I'm a noob and can't post URL's yet. But I have an infiniti FX35 stock Bose system. The FX35, is a crossover SUV. Same chassis as the Nissan Murano.
Ah sorry, totally spaced vehicle type. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

In that case, disregard my last line. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

eh, i wouldn't say that.
"Relatively". Thus, in comparison to other vehicle types. I would definitely say that //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif As I am currently finding out lol.

You helped a lot. Thanks!
I plan on getting the box built, I know there are a few members on this board that build some.
pro-rabbit

*applause*
Start by searching for a desirable BL curve and minimized distortion.
I understand that a good SQ sub has a flat curve... are you suggesting to search for that? Or are there different flat curves and I should see which of those curves I like?

I understand that a good SQ sub has a flat curve... are you suggesting to search for that? Or are there different flat curves and I should see which of those curves I like?
Here's a short, good read:

AE Speakers --- Superb Quality, Unforgettable Performance, Definitely.

^^ ehh...no. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif NO SQ FOR YOU!!!
The esque's shall be mine //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif ...sorta kinda maybe. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

pro-rabbit
I've seen pictures of his work in the log section. I like it, but I think I might want a vinyl wrapped box or something a little sexier than the standard carpet. I'm not sure if he does that. I'll PM him once I figure out the sub and amp I that will work.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.