can a fuse blow?

Ohioguy
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
house
over night? my system was fine all last night, parked it in the garage and shut everything off. this morning around 5 i woke up to go to the gym, and im getting no power to any of my amps. my fuse under the hood near the battery doesnt look blown, but it looks a little bit black so im going to replace that. but im jw if a fuse can still have enough power in it to blow while the car is off.

I would check your wiring first to make sure you don't have a short anywhere. Also, a fuse doesn't sore power, it is just a finite resistance that heats to a certain point that it melts.

it most likely blew when you started it up, with your amp pulling no current it wont blow with it off. you could of, however, had your power wire short out, or ground out, and that could of caused it

Because fuses "store" energy. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

The wire might have touched chassis and blown or something. It only takes one or two strands.

Sometimes fuses just go bad. I had an AGU fuse that one day just stopped working. Was NOT blown, wasn't even dark. But if I put a DMM to it, there was 0 conductivity...replaced it, and have been fine since...

Sometimes fuses just go bad. I had an AGU fuse that one day just stopped working. Was NOT blown, wasn't even dark. But if I put a DMM to it, there was 0 conductivity...replaced it, and have been fine since...
AGU Fuses FTL. :p Though when you have to use it, and it's on hand, it's fine. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif I would be surprised if an ANL did this though.

AGU Fuses FTL. :p Though when you have to use it, and it's on hand, it's fine. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif I would be surprised if an ANL did this though.
Yeah I didn't like it, but I was running a small setup (only 500 watts) so I had 4 gauge power wire, it was either a 4 gauge AGU fuse holder or 1/0 gauge ANL fuse holder...and the 4 gauge does NOT fit very well into a 1/0 gauge hole...

This is true. I've blown fuses before that looked perfectly fine after they blew. However, most fuses that I run for SPL testing get burnt up pretty bad:laugh:

hm thanks guys. im going to replace the fuse which im almost positive is the problem. if not, its gotta be the grounds or a bad distribution block

I'm going to guess inrush current. Most likely there was a good song on when he got home so he turned his engine off to save fuel and kept listening. Then the song finished and he went inside but the voltage had already dropped.

The next morning he comes outside and starts his engine. If he has a battery in the back, a capacitor, or sometimes just the caps built into the amp can draw enough current immediately once exposed to power that they look like a dead short to the battery and alternator. For a second or two they draw HUGE amount of current and can pop fuses.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.