Buzzing/hissing/whining sound

Participant count
  • Participant list

rhysleo

I'm at wits end with the sound system in my car. I have rewired it twice already and yet the problems still persist.

Here's what's happening: when no music is playing and I have the volume turned up, there is a buzzing and hissing noise that comes from the speakers. When music is playing, the buzzing/hissing noise is still there, although it's generally muffled by the music. Also, when the music is playing, there is a slight squealing/whining noise audible through the speakers.

Now, I am running the power cord directly next to the RCA cables and speaker wires. In other words, the power cable is literally zip tied to the RCA cables and speaker wires. I was told by some that this is perfectly acceptable and others that this is inexcusable. I imagine this would be what is causing my problems?

Finally, here's what I have going on:

Head unit: Kenwood KDC 152

Amp: Rockford fosgate R250x4

Speakers: (2x) Polk 6.5", (2x) Polk 5.25"

Appreciate it guys.

try grounding your rca's

also if you have mediocre low quality rca and power wires running on same side they can be interfering with each other.

ive been told the pre amp output on your head unit can also be a culprit. do you happen to know what pre amp voltage your head unit gives out

Now, I am running the power cord directly next to the RCA cables and speaker wires. In other words, the power cable is literally zip tied to the RCA cables and speaker wires. I was told by some that this is perfectly acceptable and others that this is inexcusable. I imagine this would be what is causing my problems?
I'd assume it's your signal and power ran together...I made the same mistake in the past and once I separated power and signal, output was clean. Some basic troubleshooting here: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/wiring-electrical-installation-help/198477-engine-whine-ground-loop-fixes-take-two.html

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.