Building dual ported box for two 12 inch Type R's - What tools do I need?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hi, ordered blueprints for a dual ported design for my Type R's earlier today from Jason of Mobile Enclosures.

I am 17 years old and this will be my first box build ever, was just wondering what tools + supplies should I need to build this box?

I'm pretty sure my dad has most of the tools needed lying around in my garage somewhere, but what can I use to cut the holes for the woofers if I don't have a router?

Also what do I use to connect the speaker wire from the inside of the box to the amp on the outside?

I was told the if I drill a hole big enough for a nut and bolt I can use that instead of plastic cup terminals that you would find on prefab boxes. Would I just use an 8 gauge ring crimp to secure the wire to the bolt on the inside or would I have to solder the wire to the bolt?

I am super excited to get this started, just waiting on the blueprints from Jason + need to go pickup the MDF once I have some freetime. I'm even considering filming a build log just for fun //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Thanks for the help everyone, love this site and all of the advice you guys have for me.

If you can get your home depot or lumber yard to do your cuts for you it's a big time savings. If you do, expect rather rough results and use LIQUID NAILS for glue since it fills slight gaps pretty well. This has been my strategy for a while.

Assuming you can do that, you'll only need a drill/screw gun (nail gun works well too, but I'm guessing you don't have one) caulking gun (if you use liquid nails), and a jigsaw to cut out the mounting hole.

If you are doing all your own cuts you'll want a skill saw (table saw is better but not many folks have access to a proper one). You will want a good carpenter's square, a pencil, and a long piece of wood with a good straight edge and a couple clamps to use for a guide to keep your cuts square. You can free-hand your cuts, but making a guide by clamping a piece of wood on is about the best way to get a clean square cut without a big saw.

I prefer to glue and screw everything. Glue and a nail gun works as well, or if your cuts are really good, glue and a bunch of clamps will do, though I never have the patience and personally like to bang on it before the glue is even dry.

You can simply run speaker wire out the port hole, use some bolts and a few nuts and washers (and crimp style ring terminals on the outside), or simply drill a hole big enough to run wire through and caulk it up when you've run the wire.

Not rocket science really. As long as everything is firmly fastened and air tight it really doesn't matter how you got there.

I will most likely do the cuts myself unless Home Depot/Menards/Lowes does the cuts for free (Doubt they do), but should I be good with just liquid nails and hammer and nails? Are there any disadvantages from using nails instead of screws besides having the ability to disassemble it easier?

How would I connect the speaker wire to the bolt on the inside of the enclosure? Wrap it around the bolt and solder or use ring crimps?

EDIT: Also random question, but if you know anything about Optima Batteries, do you know if there is a big difference between the group D34 and the D35? I was forced to pay 20$ extra today because the D34 wouldn't fit under my hood because my stock battery had reverse posts.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.