Building a 2-way component setup?

Gearstix
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Whats involved with making a component set? Somebody told me I could find the parts I'd need on Parts Express...

If somebody could explain the crossover would help me. I don't understand which I'd need.

I'm thinking passive crossovers. I have a Pioneer DEH-4900IB for a headunit.

You can, but the pre-built passive crossovers at partsexpress are generally 8 ohm (sometimes 4 or 8 on the mid-woofer). You would have to solder a crossover out of bare parts. It would be easier (but maybe not better) to buy a passive crossover from woofersetc or sonicelectronix.

just need a bigger amp vs 4ohm load
you could run active, either new cd player or an active processor
Yea see all this is new to me. I've never dealt with comp setups before...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

with the 8 ohm x over if he pust a 4 ohm driver on it it will simply change the xover point, correct? so instead of being at 3000 hz it would cross over at 1500hz, so chosing the proper xover point is actually the more important thing. or am I wrong?

and the simplist thing to do is get some from the forum, eg. I run my comps active so I have a ton of passive Xovers sitting around, you could just use them.

with the 8 ohm x over if he pust a 4 ohm driver on it it will simply change the xover point, correct? so instead of being at 3000 hz it would cross over at 1500hz, so chosing the proper xover point is actually the more important thing. or am I wrong?
and the simplist thing to do is get some from the forum, eg. I run my comps active so I have a ton of passive Xovers sitting around, you could just use them.
yeah I don't want nothing to complicated. I'm not going for all out SQ either, just something that sounds good.

I'm not sure how I'm going to put my components in either. I have the stock location in my doors but depth might be a problem. Was thinking 1-2 midbass's per door and tweeters in the pillars?

Its a reg cab btw.

yea i am really wanting to run active since i have a big 4 channel amp the zx850.4

it does 175x4@4ohms and 215x4@2ohms, wat i wanted to do was a set of comps in the kicks and a mid in each door and a tweet in each a pillar

so couldnt i get 4 4ohm mids and either run 2 mids per channel to give 215 to a set of mids or run all 4 mids to the 2 channels bridged to give 425rms to all 4 mids, and then i still have 2 channels left for tweets and then the tweets not sure but if they are 8ohm tweets run 2 per channel so 4ohm per channel so 175rms to the set of tweets and do the same for the other set of tweets

jsut pick up some used X overs from here or ebay. and 1 decent midbass will be ample.
wouldn't two 8ohm midbasses per door yield a 4 ohm load?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-422&CFID=10536122&CFTOKEN=36033280

this is 4 ohm.. hmm

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=290-399

another 4 ohmm

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-372

the list goes on.

king ranch sorry, I can't understand your post.

most of the stuff parts express sells is for diy home usage, i wouldnt imagine any problems with them being in a car but not sure, car is a whole different enviroment

depending on how much time you want to put into desiging a xover, and such, theres alot of different things you could do, you might come out easier just buying a proven component set, you just need to know alot of design to make them sound good with a passive

Yes, but what I was saying above is that the passive crossovers from parts express are designed to work on 8 ohms. Finding 4 or 8 ohm mids is not the problem. The problem is that when you run a car amp designed for 4 ohms at 8 ohms, you often lose half your rated power. That's okay for some people others cannot get over it. I'm generally in the later camp, i hate to kiss power good bye unless the final solution is VASTLY superior to 4 ohm load options at a similar price.

yea i am really wanting to run active since i have a big 4 channel amp the zx850.4it does 175x4@4ohms and 215x4@2ohms, wat i wanted to do was a set of comps in the kicks and a mid in each door and a tweet in each a pillar

so couldnt i get 4 4ohm mids and either run 2 mids per channel to give 215 to a set of mids or run all 4 mids to the 2 channels bridged to give 425rms to all 4 mids, and then i still have 2 channels left for tweets and then the tweets not sure but if they are 8ohm tweets run 2 per channel so 4ohm per channel so 175rms to the set of tweets and do the same for the other set of tweets

If I'm following you correctly you want to run a three way system, but you want to run your mids in your kick panels parallel to your midbass's in your door. That would make running a three way system totally pointless, since the mid, and the midbass would be crossed over at the same point.

I have been thinking about this lately myself, and I guess the only thing you could do is run a second amp for the midbass (which probably need the most power anyways). Then you would need a processor so you could tune all six channels (two tweets, two mids, and two midbass's) individually.

Or did I not understand you at all?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.