Build review and help needed

Participant count
  • Participant list

deezo
10+ year member

Before I get into my build for everyone to critique I have a question I need answered before I start the build.

Here is the deal.........

I have a 2006 Hummer H2. I am going to build what I would call a mid to high end system based on sound quality.

I really do not want to start messing around with the electrical system and changing out the big 3.

Is it possible to get away with running a 2 amplifier system efficiently without messing with the electrical?

If I run a sundown amp at a 1ohm load can I get away with stock electrical system? Would it be better to keep the sub amp at a 2ohm load?

Now to the build....................

Going to run a kenwood double din head unit,l have not decided which one but it will be high end unit.

Seperates will be 3 sets ( front door set is 61/2" and the rear and far rear sets will be 51/4") I am looking at either MB Quarts or Boston Acoustics.

2 amps under the rear seats, both will be sundown. Sub amp will be 1200D and seperates will probably be the sax 100.4. ( I would love to run the 1200d at 1ohm if possible without changing out the electrical).

I am considering a sound processor/ Crossover as well! Always loved the epicenter!

Subwoofer will probably be a single 18 inch Incriminator Audio. Probably go with a ported enclosure designed and built by someone on this forum.

I was hoping to get away with a nice capacitor but would consider adding a 2nd battery, have no clue where I would put the 2nd battery but would consider it!

Let me know if you think I am missing something or I should consider something else.

Your thoughts and opinions will be very much appreciated. Feel free to be harsh if need be, I have thick skin.

Thanks guys!

what size alt you have stock? Im sure its of a decent size...
Get a second batt and i think youll be good to go actually.
I believe the stock alt is a 145 amp! Could be wrong but that is what I am finding that is stock!

If I replace the stock battery with a very high end battery, will I need a 2nd battery? I really dont want to add a 2nd battery and am trying to keep the vehicle as functional as possible. I have no clue where I could even put a 2nd battery.

So are you saying I should be able to give the amp a 1 ohm load?

If i remember right th H2 has a little space under the hood to do a custom bracket so you can have both your batts under the hood. Also i have never ran SD but i think they are 1/0 wire input amps so run your pos wire from batt to a distro block in the back and theres your power for both amps

With the biggest battery you can fit up front, you should be fine. The potential to add a second front battery is useful, if you can, do it. The alternator itself is fairly big.

The big 3 should really be considered. It won't affect any performance, or functionality, it's just a simple wire upgrade in the engine. It allows you to get more out of the alternator.

For components, put some thought into Image Dynamics.

You should be fine running with amplifier at 1 ohm, it's only 1200 watts, plus the 400 from the other. With the alternator size (though admittedly, you probably do have a lot of electrical stuff in that vehicle), you shouldn't have any troubles. Put some thought to the big 3 to minimize any issues.

Big 3 should be done for sure. Have a guy in greeley that is trying to rid of a kinetic 1800 for 200 obo very lightly used you may want to pick up for extra capacity, perfect size too. Running only 1 sundown your electrical should be fine with stock alternator easy. (extra battery recomended to take a load spikes off the alternater though) Im local, shoot me a PM.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.