Build quality sound system

metalli445
10+ year member

I'm looking to upgrade my current system in my 2005 Dodge Ram quad cab. I currently have the 7 speaker infinity without navigation. This system comes with an amp from the factory. What I'd like to achieve is a system built for sound quality. I want tight and clean bass that doesn't overpower my components.

What I currently have:

1) JL 500\1 sub amp

2)JL 300\2 amp

What I need:

1) Front component set (I want FOCAL 165 V30)

2) Headunit (I am undecided and not partial to any brand of headunit. I'm looking to spend upwards of $400. It needs to have bluetooth, ipod\iphone hookup)

3) Device to integrate steering wheel controls with the headunit.

4) Sub box that fits under the rear seat. (I know JL makes a stealthbox with a single 10W3v2 that is around $550. I think they over price this box bigtime considering the sub is worth around $180 new. What are your ideas for a box\sub combo)

I plan on using my rear stock speakers for rear fill for the time being. Should i reuse my existing wires or wire everything from scratch? Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Pat

Kenwood, Pioneer, and Alpine can give you a HU that suits your needs.

PAC-Audio offers steering wheel controls - if you have an HU that can accept them (Alpine generally can).

the price of the stealth box includes the custom fiberglass enclosure - which would cost you $100 in materials and a lot of time to fabricate yourself. paying a shop will run you the same price as the stealthbox. it's a fair price. look to MTX for a cheaper version.

man its hard to get sound out of the quad cabs as there just isint alot of room under the rear seat. id reccomend a center console box with a downfire sub, thats the only thing i have heard in a quad cab that has sounded decent without extreme measures being taken. (removing the rear seat or bed cut)

then again i guess it depends on how much bass you want as well. the stealh box is just expensive imo.

^i have built a custom center console with a down firing Ultra Subs LV10 in a 2002 Tundra. i agree that it sounds great. but it's a lot of work.

Focal makes some of the best speakers on earth - they supply to Wilson Audio and Wilson uses them in their $100,000, $50,000, and $30,000 home speakers (price is each). So yea, Focal knows how to make a quality driver. But the entry level speakers just seem to lack much "warmth". The Polyglass 165 V30 are a nicer set and i've heard them. They sound decent.

Certainly, mixing entry level Focal with JL slash series will have it's own sound. a 31 band eq would let you tweak the response if you desire modifications.

^i have built a custom center console with a down firing Ultra Subs LV10 in a 2002 Tundra. i agree that it sounds great. but it's a lot of work.
Focal makes some of the best speakers on earth - they supply to Wilson Audio and Wilson uses them in their $100,000, $50,000, and $30,000 home speakers (price is each). So yea, Focal knows how to make a quality driver. But the entry level speakers just seem to lack much "warmth". The Polyglass 165 V30 are a nicer set and i've heard them. They sound decent.

Certainly, mixing entry level Focal with JL slash series will have it's own sound. a 31 band eq would let you tweak the response if you desire modifications.
the bold exactly, i listened to all of them and the entry level ones were not warm at all IMO. I dont really feel you get much for your money with the entry level Focals.

the bold exactly, i listened to all of them and the entry level ones were not warm at all IMO. I dont really feel you get much for your money with the entry level Focals.
What 6.5" component set would you recommend for around the same price if the V30 series isn't that good for the money? I'm looking for great sound quality and I figured you couldn't go wrong with focal components. They will be powered by a 300\2 JL amp if that matters in your decision.

What 6.5" component set would you recommend for around the same price if the V30 series isn't that good for the money? I'm looking for great sound quality and I figured you couldn't go wrong with focal components. They will be powered by a 300\2 JL amp if that matters in your decision.
In all honesty man, you can't go wrong with your ears. See if you can listen to some stuff. For some starting points, look into Boston acoustics and hybrid audio. I've personally never heard a Boston set I didn't like and Hybrid audio is known for winning SQ comps. Remember, though, your install will determine your SQ before your speakers will. Make sure to seal up those doors and all. And play around with tweeter aiming and placements.

You may want to check out hat imagines. They are a good sounding speaker for the money imho.

As for the rear seat. What about fabbing some risers for it? If you could kick it up a few inches you would have quite a few more options. May even be able to go with a 12 or 15 depending on how high you can get by without obstructing the rear glass to much.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.