Budget performers to look for

seedlings

Senior VIP Member
Dudes, I'm a bit overwhelmed and don't want to make a hasty purchase. I'm looking for a sub in the $100-140 range, but I may not be aware of all the brands to compare. I was considering something like a JBL GT 5-15 up to possibly a Sundown E-15 V2 D2. In a Montero Sport with maybe 3 cu ft available, what should I be looking for? The $90 price of the JBL is very tempting. I'm not interested in competition or supreme sound quality. Just looking for something fun to listen to. 500w is plenty. What are the brands I should be considering under $140, in the 500w range? I don't know a lot of "non crutchfield" kind of brands...

Don't have an amp yet. But, also budget is really important.

THANKS!!

CHAD

Highly recommend the obsidians. Sound amazing, can get loud, can take some abuse and have no trouble playing the lows. They don't need a big box and sound great in ported or a 4th order. I ran a 12 in a 4th order tuned to 38 off 1,000w and it would peak at 31hz and play in the low 40's. Meanwhile in my friends car 4 12's ported off a sundown 3k are pulling high 40's on music. In fact that setup actually sounds louder than others I've heard that meter a 150.

Highly recommend the obsidians. Sound amazing, can get loud, can take some abuse and have no trouble playing the lows. They don't need a big box and sound great in ported or a 4th order. I ran a 12 in a 4th order tuned to 38 off 1,000w and it would peak at 31hz and play in the low 40's. Meanwhile in my friends car 4 12's ported off a sundown 3k are pulling high 40's on music. In fact that setup actually sounds louder than others I've heard that meter a 150.
Great subs..Are they still in business though?

[quote name='Jbake1975']Great subs..Are they still in business though?[/QUOTE]

I have no idea, I haven't messed around with car audio in a few years. The purchase link on their site is gone, though last I remember they had the v2 subs and now on the site they have the v3. @sundownz;

Aren't obsidians hard to come by?

Can always take suggestions above and just look at the 12'' models.
Yes.

BTW, you gave me exactly the info I was looking for: that xplicit audio site. A site that has almost zero brands I was familiar with!! So much easier to search than some popular sites or eBay or amazon. Those have too much white noise brandage tomwade through.

CHAD

Yes.BTW, you gave me exactly the info I was looking for: that xplicit audio site. A site that has almost zero brands I was familiar with!! So much easier to search than some popular sites or eBay or amazon. Those have too much white noise brandage tomwade through.

CHAD
Wil is a good guy to deal with.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.