Buck Box Designs - Refreshed Thread

Single Orion HCCA 12 going in a Trunk

Last edited:
Oh boy do I like these subs!!!

2 Dayton Audio Ultimax 10's inside of a 4th order bandpass. This will be going in a small hatch :devilish:

Opportunity for transparent window (Lexan) in front of subs; port is removable for user-tuning, if different response is wanted.

Here's the subs:

I am not ashamed to admit that I am a Dayton ultimax nut hugger. I’d take the Pepsi challenge with these subs against any sealed subwoofer on the market. I had my 8 inch Dayton in a 4th order and even the single 8 was impressive.

I am not ashamed to admit that I am a Dayton ultimax nut hugger. I’d take the Pepsi challenge with these subs against any sealed subwoofer on the market. I had my 8 inch Dayton in a 4th order and even the single 8 was impressive.

This box is pretty big for 10’s. Like the biggest I’ve ever done, I suspect. These subs are well designed. This is one of those boxes I oversized somewhat, in attempt for flatter and low response, on the sealed side. Dude, these subs resonate lower in sealed than some 18’s do, and their low resonance and box size matches up with a great Qtc. These subs are very well designed.

I’m gonna stop before I give away too much secret sauce haha. 4ths- you have to have the right sub. Even in subs that work in or have recommended sealed, those subs aren’t always the best for a 4th bandpass. It just depends on the frequency response people want. I can tell who knows how 4th order bandpasses work by how they talk about it.

Ratios don’t matter!!! That’s not how it works lol. It kills me inside some, and it makes me feel better, at the same time. 4th order bandpasses can be SOOOOO musical. Or they can be SPL monsters. I prefer series 6th orders over 4th order bandpasses in many situations, especially at a certain power level per woofer.

If somebody wants to explain how they know ratios matter, then go for it. That’s just a great way to not get what you really want.

‘Tis frustrating when I see people say “I want a X:1 ratio 4th”, like that says anything about how it’ll play. My customers haven’t
done that; I’m just talking about what I see online. I’m not gonna name names, but there’s people who have some of the biggest systems and their 4th order b-pillar is designed via a ratio thought process. I wish they’d let me design it. I’ve seen the response graphs, aka the dB’s across their bandwidths. I’ve literally seen like 5-10 dB drop offs on musical boxes within an octave of peak 😂

I did the ultimax 8 in .6 on the sealed side and .4 @49 hz on the ported side. With cabin gain I ended up getting a little hump on the low end, but not as much as it did ported. Your design for the 10s looks really good. Your customers are getting very nice sounding sub systems.

Buck have you played around with the new Dayton MX subwoofers? The 15" recommends 3 cubes at 25hz but when I model it it has a really strong drop off under 40hz. Could have just been my lack of patience though.

I did the ultimax 8 in .6 on the sealed side and .4 @49 hz on the ported side. With cabin gain I ended up getting a little hump on the low end, but not as much as it did ported. Your design for the 10s looks really good. Your customers are getting very nice sounding sub systems.

I like that kind of info right there. That helps me a bit.

Buck have you played around with the new Dayton MX subwoofers? The 15" recommends 3 cubes at 25hz but when I model it it has a really strong drop off under 40hz. Could have just been my lack of patience though.

I don't think so, yet. Modeling isn't really always accurate. Some woofer styles will model poorly, regardless of how good the woofers are. My Fi Bl's, back in the day, were awesome! But they literally have hit lower -3db at like something silly, like 35 hz, even though I could play well into the 20's. Modeling is just an educated guess. You maybe have to see when the model isn't accurate; there's more indicators of proper woofer design than just the dB response graph.

Feel free to post up the t/s of that woofer in here; I'll look at it. I love looking at t/s.

This is a box buck did for me back in the spring.
Its 1 DD 3510 @ 33hz in a Infiniti Q50.
I'm just getting around to getting the system installed but the 10 is actually from a previous system.
What a difference a box makes, It is so much louder now then it was before even though its running off the same amp.
So Thanks Buck
I will definitely be coming your way when it's time to upgrade
Pay no attention to the mess in my garage
IMG-1212.jpg

IMG-1209.jpg

IMG-1220.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...