bridging problems

BroMan
10+ year member

hey i just learned how to bridge my amp and it worked fine for the first couple of days. NOw i noticed that evrytime i turn the volume up high the bass will fade away. The music still comes out of my door speakers but the subs just shuts off for a few seconds then they turn back on. This happens more frequently if i keep turning up the volume. Does anyone know why it's doing thins?

Sounds like your amp is not stable at that load bridged, and is going into protection mode (kind of like a circuit breaker tripping. Do not continue to operate it, for fear of blowing your amp. Most amps are not stable below 4 ohms bridged. Check your specs.

Yea,

Jeffs right don't run the the amp like this. You can probably fix the problem by simply rewiring your subs. What kind of amp and subs do you have?

Otherwise you will need a high current amp, one that can handle lower impeadances without shutting down. I have a soundstream reference 500 that is stable down to .5 ohms. I think Phoenix Gold amps can handle 1 ohm, but most amps when bridged do not have the proper output stages to handle less than 4 ohms. And in some cases this can mean death for the amplifier.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.