breaking cones?

i have a soft spot on one of my cones. the surround ripped in this section as well. im not impressed with these 9518s as far as build. think its time for carbon cones.. anyone else have this issue?
Pics.

You've done something terribly wrong if you're breaking 18" cones on the power you have.

If you're dead set on cones being your silver bullet to get loud I can get some USA made Shocker cones and spiders (you'll have to source your own DD coils and find some tinsels somewhere). Nobody has broken these cones and the spiders are very stiff and stay stiff. Not cheap, but American made and strong.

Usually a quality paper cone will hold up well into 160’sCould your basket be cracked causing flex on the cone?
I don't know man. The box is symictrical. I think the cones just ****. They are way weaker than the last handful I used. I put the bottom woofer at the top to see if I was having issues loading off the seat but i don't see any issue. Everything is symmetrical in the box and the front panel does not move one bit.

Pics.
You've done something terribly wrong if you're breaking 18" cones on the power you have.

If you're dead set on cones being your silver bullet to get loud I can get some USA made Shocker cones and spiders (you'll have to source your own DD coils and find some tinsels somewhere). Nobody has broken these cones and the spiders are very stiff and stay stiff. Not cheap, but American made and strong.
I'll get a video. It's hard to tell. You gotta feel it. A friend pointed it out when he touched them. I think they just ****.

Pics.

What's the mmd on the cones?

If your breaking cones u have baddddd loading issues. Poorly built enclosure
If you where constructive I wouldn't mind but you aren't. The box is symictrical. If the top and bottom are identical. No odd shapes etc.. only thing might be the seats but the bottom is going to load less than the top (the seats are slanted).

I only have 12 and 15" here.... plus the 18's that are built up.
these cones are stupid light. like 200 grams for the 18. the carbon cones are about that weight and way stronger. like 3x stronger. might end up with them. i can get some 8 layer aluminum coils to slap in there. no problem with that. im 90% sure its 9.25" spiders on this landing.

I don't know man. The box is symictrical. I think the cones just ****. They are way weaker than the last handful I used. I put the bottom woofer at the top to see if I was having issues loading off the seat but i don't see any issue. Everything is symmetrical in the box and the front panel does not move one bit.
To much back pressure. Or the DD recones could have had bad glue. Didn’t your surround just come off and not shread a cone ?

To much back pressure. Or the DD recones could have had bad glue. Didn’t your surround just come off and not shread a cone ?
yea. the box isn't deep and its abit small. right now fore daily i have 36x8(21n^2 per cube) in 13.5 tuned to 42. For SPL its 14ft^3 400in^2 tuned to 51. I've tried with and without pieces to reduce reflection/loading. the surround tore yes i reglued it, yes

i do have some trapped pressure but the box is borderline to small so for now i have to live with it. i might have to step down to 15s to get better numbers but i love 18s cone area and the fact i can play 30 full tilt and they still get off.

yea. the box isn't deep and its abit small. right now fore daily i have 36x8(21n^2 per cube) in 13.5 tuned to 42. For SPL its 14ft^3 400in^2 tuned to 51. I've tried with and without pieces to reduce reflection/loading. the surround tore yes i reglued it, yes i do have some trapped pressure but the box is borderline to small so for now i have to live with it. i might have to step down to 15s to get better numbers but i love 18s cone area and the fact i can play 30 full tilt and they still get off.
13.5 seems small for 2 18s.

wouldnt 15-16 cubes net be better?

Idk. I tried less port and more space. It just hits harder around and below tuning. I'd ideally like around 7.5 but that leaves me like 180in^2 of port area for daily..
I'd do 2 15s like you said then

I'm by no means an expert when it comes to an enclosure but I wouldn't be surprised especially walled if it does better

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.