box size ,deep bass

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Replies 6
  • Views 4K
U

Unregistered

my system consist of a kenwood excelon kdc-x817 source infinity 61/2 cs in door,51/4 in the kickpods,alpine mrv-407 4ch 40x4,xtant 1001dx mono block class d sub amp(1000x1 @ 2ohm), and three 12" jlaudio w3,s wired in ser. par for a 2.67 ohm load.the subs are in a sealed encloser open chamber w/ 1.41 cu. ft each sub .the bass sounds fluttery and does not hit hard like i would like it too. the installer from the shop that i bought my subs from says jl specs are always off and to use that encloser. the shops around my house says the smaller the box the deeper the bass. they say to use a box around .875 to 1.0 cu ft ea.sub. is this true the smaller the box on these subs the deeper the bass? i just want my system to have earth shaking bass. help!

i also thought of swithching out my source or maybe my subs. i want to pound harder than any one i know .

Your system has very good components in it. It is true that the smaller the box you have, the deeper the bass you will have, but it is also true the smaller the box you have, the lower your SPL will be, which is basically a measurement of how loud you system is. If you want to maximize your SPL, the best way is to use a vented box such as a virtual technologies box. These boxes when purchased are usually extremely expensive. Also some subs respond very poorly to vented boxes, for example I have seen Rockford subs really perform horribly in vented boxes (even blow quickly). I am not sure about the JL subs exactly . . . I build and i would suggest to you if you have any idea of what you are doing to build a box. I actually built a vented box for a jlw6 15" and it performed VERY well in it so I have reason to believe that your 12s would probably do just fine. The other thing you have to worry about is space with a ported box because they are very big. What kind of vehicle do you have btw. Just to give you an idea of what a ported box can do, I had 2 Planet Audio P-129C running 375 watts each off of a Planet Audio Vector D in a custom box I built. I have a Ford Explorer. At the time I was metered I still had factory head unit and I metered 145.8 which took 1st place in my section of the competiton (2-12s 1-15 or 3-10s no wall). That beat out someone who had 6 RF HX2s (all sealed boxes) running 500 watts per sub in a station wagon like car... he hit 144 something. If you want volume go with a vented box, little less quality unless perfectly built for the sub is a problem. I must conclude though with my ode to sealed boxes . . . I now have a headunit in and lets say matured about car audio and am more into quality and now have 3 of those subs running in small sealed boxes running 350 watts each from the same amp (its stable to 1200X1 @ 1 ohm). Its probably not as loud spl wise but it sounds much better to most songs... email me if you want to know anything else, like box building stuff....I have a very solid design for 2 12s...email gtg579b@prism.gatech.edu..

Later, Bob

ive always known the best way to get deeper bass is to get a deeper box at about 1.50 air space then get you a amp that is 1 ohm or half ohmstable this combination will definately get the boom that you are looking for. if you get the jbl power series monomonster amp and 4 pioneer premier subs that are dvc 800 watts max apiece then youll be rumpshakin just like me make sure that you get a lightning cap from lightning audio to run continuouse power to your amplifier because running 4 dvc subs at 1 ohm will kill any ******** amp. to learn more email me at tony@earthlink.

If your looking for absolute bass. VT is the way to go. I personlly have owned a single 10", single 12", triple 10", and now dual 12". All with the VT subs. They hammer. There is now comparison. I have been taking trophies left and right with only 300 watts. Now I have 1100 and can't wait till competition starts this year. You must have a sub that can handle the amount of vented space. If not, you will break any normal sub.

Originally posted by Unregistered ive always known the best way to get deeper bass is to get a deeper box at about 1.50 air space then get you a amp that is 1 ohm or half ohmstable this combination will definately get the boom that you are looking for. if you get the jbl power series monomonster amp and 4 pioneer premier subs that are dvc 800 watts max apiece then youll be rumpshakin just like me make sure that you get a lightning cap from lightning audio to run continuouse power to your amplifier because running 4 dvc subs at 1 ohm will kill any ******** amp. to learn more email me at tony@earthlink.
That post makes absolutely no sense.

Exactly how do you expect a capacitor to keep a 1-ohm load from "killing any ******** amp" when supply voltage has nothing to do with an amplifier's internal components being able to handle low impedences.

Yeah, I'll be sure to email you to learn more. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

OK, lets get real. Seal enlosure's are not loud. Purchase a dual 12" Virtual Technolgy box and it will break your ear drums. I have a dual 12" box w/VT hammer pro's w/ 1100 rms going to both of them(Memphis Bell). It pounds so hard in the back of my jetta that it makes your ears hurt. Order the box from virtual-technologies.com Keep one 12" for a back up. Your amp will run this setup all day long with no problem. I hit a 149 db with the back seats closed with no venting to the cab, this was with only 500 rms at the time. I'm expacting easy 152's w/1100 rms.

Originally posted by Tungsten That post makes absolutely no sense.

Exactly how do you expect a capacitor to keep a 1-ohm load from "killing any ******** amp" when supply voltage has nothing to do with an amplifier's internal components being able to handle low impedences.

Yeah, I'll be sure to email you to learn more. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif
Can't email him.. don't know if it's .com .net .org .edu (well, I know cause I was on Earthlink for a bit, but //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif )

(not that anyone should email this guy.. suggesting a cap to suppliment power is just.. well.. bad advice)

Oh, but if anyone wants to email this joker, it's earthlink.NET

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.