Box help please

Participant count
  • Participant list

slm9s

WA state
I'm 95% sure I'm going to upgrade to a CAB Ultra 12" sub in a ported box for the trunk of my '06 GTO.

I mostly listen to top 40/rap/rock/classic rock.

The power will be from a JBL 7001 giving 700 watts at 2 ohms.

The issue is that the car has a small trunk. I currently have a poorly designed box that is 34" wide x 17" deep x 13" tall. It takes up almost the whole trunk.

I pretty much have to stay at 17" deep and 13" tall. What width would be ideal? If I go, say, 3 inches less wide than ideal would you be able to tell by listening?

I plan to have the box all the way to the L side of the trunk. Would sub position be better up or rear? I assume the port will be going to the Right, as all other sides are really close to walls.

Thoughts?

What's the minimum clearance from sub to trunk wall? If the box is 17" deep, the sub will be about an inch from the rear of the trunk - is that ok?

I've also read you want a 'port's width' from the wall. That would make a 12" sub almost undoable to have it face the rear - the box would have to be too skinny and I wouldn't have enough room. I'm assuming the box will need to be approx 30" wide. That leaves about 12" from the Right trunk wall. Port right is about the only configuration that will work.

Anyone want to suggest a box size?

Who can I buy a box design from?

Thanks.

in your car is the gas tank located behind the rear seat?
If so a standard box will not work well.
Yes it is.

I've read on Gto forums that guys still have good performance from trunk subs. Can you tell me your experience?

Yes it is.
I've read on Gto forums that guys still have good performance from trunk subs. Can you tell me your experience?
I do not have any experience, my friend owned the same car so I that is how I know about the gas tank issue.

I would go 3rd,4th order (whichever one is ports on front sealed chamber on rear) with some 10's and port through the rear deck.

No experience with said car but would think sub and port firing rear.
make box wider not as deep, port and sub rear.. something like this but u could make box 34" wide only 14d or whatever., just give sub and port about 3" from wall.. 2 Cu. Ft. Custom-Ported MDF Subwoofer Enclosure for 12" Round Sub (2.0 @ 32Hz)
Guys not every car is the same, what works in a Honda Accord does not work in a car with the gas tank located in the space behind the rear seat and in front of the trunk.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.