Box for 2 Obsidian 18 v2's

bgowdy
5,000+ posts

Heroes are remembered, but legends never die
Im really needing input on the port part of the enclosure. I know what i want to tune to so im not in question of that. Im working on getting everything together for a 2 OA 18 v2 setup. Im really not sure what i should aim for as far as port goes. Im going with aero's to save on space.

What size port would be ideal for this. The build will be geared for a daily/SPL setup for the org i compete in from time to time which is on a "music average" no burps.

My Dimensions that ive got gives my 10.01 cubes net before disp.

Im stuck between 2 8's or 1 10" port. i was thinking 1 10" when i was first getting into measuring but then i was told that i would want alittle more and suggested i do 2 8's.

Any input?

Im really needing input on the port part of the enclosure. I know what i want to tune to so im not in question of that. Im working on getting everything together for a 2 OA 18 v2 setup. Im really not sure what i should aim for as far as port goes. Im going with aero's to save on space.
What size port would be ideal for this. The build will be geared for a daily/SPL setup for the org i compete in from time to time which is on a "music average" no burps.

My Dimensions that ive got gives my 10.01 cubes net before disp.

Im stuck between 2 8's or 1 10" port. i was thinking 1 10" when i was first getting into measuring but then i was told that i would want alittle more and suggested i do 2 8's.

Any input?
Where do you want to tune?

You'd get more output out of a good pair of 15's in that little space. 10 cube before displacement is about right for one 18 with proper port, bracing and the displacement of the driver.

I've had better luck getting loud out of one port rather than multiples.

You'd get more output out of a good pair of 15's in that little space. 10 cube before displacement is about right for one 18 with proper port, bracing and the displacement of the driver.
I've had better luck getting loud out of one port rather than multiples.
He's only getting like 8.5" with the 1 10" as opposed to 11" with 2 18"s. I'm assuming he's not running a crazy amount of power so 11" would be better in his situation.

I know someone running 2 12"s in 5.5cf box. I think he'll do okay with 4.6 each, just needs a bit more power to move them.

[quote name='hispls']You'd get more output out of a good pair of 15's in that little space. 10 cube before displacement is about right for one 18 with proper port, bracing and the displacement of the driver.

I've had better luck getting loud out of one port rather than multiples.[/QUOTE]

im not trying to argue with your suggestion, ive just read, been told, and seen vids with small enclosures for these. also @Buck; said hes seen a guy(s) running 2 in 3.7 cubes net per and it did well. just lacked on the lower end which i tune around 40hz for my taste in music. i usually dont listen to nothing below like 36-37hz anyway.

He's only getting like 8.5" with the 1 10" as opposed to 11" with 2 18"s. I'm assuming he's not running a crazy amount of power so 11" would be better in his situation.
I know someone running 2 12"s in 5.5cf box. I think he'll do okay with 4.6 each, just needs a bit more power to move them.
I usually tune around 38-40hz(my taste in music, i know its different from most lol) because it gives me a good mix between daily & spl. No im not throwing and ungodly amount of power, probably around 3k or so before rise and voltage drop because i dont want to just kill the subs lol. but yea buck said 2 8's would probly work alot better 1 10" then someone suggested that the 1 10" would be good for them so im unsure lol

[quote name='bgowdy31']im not trying to argue with your suggestion, ive just read, been told, and seen vids with small enclosures for these. also @Buck; said hes seen a guy(s) running 2 in 3.7 cubes net per and it did well. just lacked on the lower end which i tune around 40hz for my taste in music. i usually dont listen to nothing below like 36-37hz anyway.[/QUOTE]

Whatever you say. Certainly they will function in 4 cube, but all the testing I've done suggests that smaller woofers in adequate volume get louder and the difference in just jamming another woofer in a box that's only really big enough for one driver will be only a couple tenths.

I usually tune around 38-40hz(my taste in music, i know its different from most lol) because it gives me a good mix between daily & spl. No im not throwing and ungodly amount of power, probably around 3k or so before rise and voltage drop because i dont want to just kill the subs lol. but yea buck said 2 8's would probly work alot better 1 10" then someone suggested that the 1 10" would be good for them so im unsure lol
3k is wayyyyy too much for Obsidian Audio subs. 1k each max

Whatever you say. Certainly they will function in 4 cube, but all the testing I've done suggests that smaller woofers in adequate volume get louder and the difference in just jamming another woofer in a box that's only really big enough for one driver will be only a couple tenths.
ok i understand where you coming from, now my question why would i need to put 1 18" sub in a 9 cube enclosure? hdc3 18s like larger boxes and i ran mine in a 5.40 cube net enclosure and it did fine. if each of these subs require such a big enclosure why does OA website say 4.5 - 6 cubes ported? i see guys running DCs all the time in 4 cube net enclosures

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.