Box fitment question

Participant count
  • Participant list
I talked to a local shop about building a box but they were not sure if 2 12's would fit . They said I could do 2 10's with no problems. I would really like to get the 12's back there .

Where there's a will there's a way. Yes you can. As a matter of fact you can get 4 12"s behind you seat. Very tricky box. As stated... Very thought out box. I have already done this but the box goes from the floor to the roof of the truck.And the owner was short! I have a F-150 standard cab and I installed 4 Memphis LVS 12"s behind my seat. But you can get 2 12"s in there with the entire box behind the seat. Need any deatiled help let me know and I will e-mail you a drawing of the box!

Originally posted by Jasontb2000 Where there's a will there's a way. Yes you can. As a matter of fact you can get 4 12"s behind you seat. Very tricky box. As stated... Very thought out box. I have already done this but the box goes from the floor to the roof of the truck.And the owner was short! I have a F-150 standard cab and I installed 4 Memphis LVS 12"s behind my seat. But you can get 2 12"s in there with the entire box behind the seat. Need any deatiled help let me know and I will e-mail you a drawing of the box!
Jasontb2000 thanks for the info . I am definitly interested seeing a drawing of the box . email ynot80@comcast.net . How would I go about measuring to see if it would fit behind me seat ? Is there some kind of formula to use ?

I own a car audio shop so every custom enclosure that I make I keep a record of it. The enclosure is designed for .88 Cu.Ft. with the subs installed. This is the Min. air space stillwater designs rec. I will get it from the shop on 9/25 & e-mail it to you. If you know a little about building enclosures you should be fine.

Originally posted by Jasontb2000 I own a car audio shop so every custom enclosure that I make I keep a record of it. The enclosure is designed for .88 Cu.Ft. with the subs installed. This is the Min. air space stillwater designs rec. I will get it from the shop on 9/25 & e-mail it to you. If you know a little about building enclosures you should be fine.
I am planning on working with a shop to get the box built so that way It will be done right .

Originally posted by Ynot I have a 1998 Chevy C1500 regular cab truck . I would like to know if it would be possible to get 2 12" Kicker solobaric L5'or L7's behind the seat ?
You could also try building a five sided enclosure using the rear wall as the sixth side, just make sure that you deaden the rear wall.

Another option you could try is an outside vented aperiodic design, this will require some structure modifications tho.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif :D //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

If your planning on using a shop then they should have no problems designing the enclosure. It depends on if they want to spend the time on it. Most shops will try and talk you into 2 subs with a pre-fab box. This way they decrease the time they spend on the install but still charge you for a custom install. I do not use pre-fab enclosures. The main reason is becasue they are cheap built. The dim. of the enclosure are as follows:

(These are outside dim.)

61" wide, 17.5" tall, 6" deep(@ top) and 9" deep(@Bottom). This should give you .96 Cu.Ft. for each chamber before the subs are installed. I would charge about $85 for this enclosure and would offer to build it for you but if you add shipping you would be better of finding some one closer. Also make sure they use MDF.

The problem with using the back wall as the back part of the enclosure would be sealing it to be air tight. If you enclosure leaks bad enough this will casue distortion and that is the main reason for blown woofers.

Originally posted by Jasontb2000 distortion and that is the main reason for blown woofers.
And dont forget not knowing when to stop when turning it up //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

- Steve

EDIT - Whoops, Im an idiot....thats pretty much what distortion is...I'm loosing my mind, dont comment...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif :crazy:

Originally posted by Jasontb2000 If your planning on using a shop then they should have no problems designing the enclosure. It depends on if they want to spend the time on it. Most shops will try and talk you into 2 subs with a pre-fab box. This way they decrease the time they spend on the install but still charge you for a custom install. I do not use pre-fab enclosures. The main reason is becasue they are cheap built.
I briefly talked to them about it last week and the guy I talked to said something about doing 2 separate boxes .I really would like one large one .I got 2 boxes now and I think it would look a whole lot nicer with one big box . If you click on link in my sig there is a pic of what's behind the seat now . Jasontb2000 thanks for all your help with this //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

Well in order to get the air space you need it will have to be one box with 4 dividers. Also this box will not leave you with much room to mount your amps. To give you an idea of what I did you can see my ride at http://www.4wheeldrive.about.com/library/uc/ucjasonbell.htm This is an old picture I have update to the memphis 12's. I hit a 148.4 with the set up pictured. Then after the new install I went to a 154.3 SPL. by the way, nice ride!

Originally posted by Jasontb2000 The problem with using the back wall as the back part of the enclosure would be sealing it to be air tight. If you enclosure leaks bad enough this will casue distortion and that is the main reason for blown woofers.
Depending on the method you use to build and seal the enclosure. I've never had one leak yet!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif :) //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.