box design ?'s

Participant count
  • Participant list

froggy69
10+ year member

i'm wanting to build another box(s) for 4 memphis audio svc mclass 10's.i'm considering doing a ported box for the new build either subs up-ports up or maybe ports back.it's going in an 05 trailblazer. the subs will be wired for a 1ohm load and will be powered by a massive p1500.1.

the specs memphis gives for 2 subs in a box with the optimum size being 2.8cuft tuned to 34hz with a port size of 10.5 tall x 2 wide x 19 long. i went and used the re ported box calculator. i came up with a box that is 23w x 16h x 18d.with a port height of 14.75,width of 2,length of 15.375.box volume before subs installed of 2.78 cuft. tuned to 34.887 hz.using 5/8 mdf.i will build 2 boxes to accomidate all 4 subs and was planning on turning them so the ports will be up and in the center.

i know this box is just a little smaller than the optimum size recomended for the subs.i don't want to take up the entire back of my vehicle(kids and baseball equip) but was wondering what kind of sq and sp i could expect from this box or are my dimensions off?the area i have to work with is 46x18x16(gonna mount the amps on the 16 side of the box facing back.i have never done a ported box bofore and just want to make sure i can get the best sq possible and it not be a 1 note box.also don't want the spousal unit to give me the third degree if it turns out bad either.what's in there now(sealed)does the job just fine,but was built for different subs(little small). i like listening to just about any type of music.

thanks in advance and sorry for the long post for my 1st post

Welcome. I think going ported is a good idea. I would build one large box unless you plan on taking it out frequently. One large box should be smaller than two boxes of the same net volume.

I'll check your specs when I have some time.

thanks,i've been lurking around for a while just never registered.

most likely it will be one box,but seperated between each pair or maybe do it with a single port.i was just wondering if the specs i came up with looked right.like i said i don't want to build it and it sounds like a big pile of poop or just be an spl system.i have some extra 1/2" mdf and was thinking about building a box for just 2 subs and see how it sounds.if it's close to what i'm expecting i'll build the box for all 4.

another question. if i build a box and the tuning is lower or higher say by 2 or 3 hz either way than what is recomended .will it hurt the sound quality of the box and subs or just the lowest frequency the box will work efficeintly too?

in a blazer you could ****in kill yourself it could get so loud. wish i had a blazer/explorer/4runner, yes a 4 runner would get me hard

another question. if i build a box and the tuning is lower or higher say by 2 or 3 hz either way than what is recomended .will it hurt the sound quality of the box and subs or just the lowest frequency the box will work efficeintly too?
It could change the sound a bit but nothing blatantly obvious. It shouldn't be a significant impact unless you're competing and trying to gain a tenth of a decibal.

i will enter it in some comps but it's mainly a dd.

another question.the re box calculator has the port located on one end of the box.will it hurt if i move the port to the center between the subs,while staying as close as possible to the port specs it shows?

again thanks for your help

i will enter it in some comps but it's mainly a dd.
another question.the re box calculator has the port located on one end of the box.will it hurt if i move the port to the center between the subs,while staying as close as possible to the port specs it shows?

again thanks for your help
If you move the port to the middle, make sure the port length stays the same. If the port shown in the calculator is L shaped, you're going to have to make the port into a T shape when moving it to the middle.

luckily it is just a straight port in the design(easier for me.LOL)

i'm starting to get stoked about this box build.if the car show sunday gets rained out,i'll be purchasing some wood and starting on the box.i guess i better get my honey doo's.LOL!!!!

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!! it has made me alot more comfortable with building my 1st ported box.

Holy cow!!!! i never new 4-10's could hit that hard.i'm now a believer in ported boxes.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif:eek: i believe they hit harder than my bros 4-12's behind the seat of his megacab

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.