Box Building

i got a few tips:

use trunk rubberizer on the inside of the box (wal-mart $2.50)

put two sheets of wood on the front

measure twice, cut once!

a box usually sounds best when there is an angle

and wear safety glasses (lol just a lil joke)

a box usually sounds best when there is an angle
huh? what's this mean?

you should make your box's walls parallel to each other. like a rectangle

AND make sure you build the inside of the box to the right ^ft amount. subs usually list two mesaures, stay within them (a max. and min. ^ft space) !! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

seal all insides with some sort of glue (not school glue) like where all the wood pieces meet.

don't just drill holes to feed your wires thru, make sure you place one of those wire terminals, cuz then air will leak thru the wire hole if you just slop one in

Let's see

1) shape doesn't matter as long as the internal volume is right

2) Use at least 3/4" MDF

3) Use a good urethane wood glue on all joints.

4) Take your time.

5) Plan everything out before you start.

6) Have fun //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Each sub should have its own airspace.

Brace the box internally so it doesnt flex.

Screws not nails.

Predrill screw holes if using particle board or else it will crack.

Dont use particle board use at least 3/4 MDF if possible //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif.

Make sure it is air tight and there are no leaks in the box.

Finish it off with some nice carpet and wire terminals.

You can use weather stripping around the sub(put it around the perimeter of the hole in the box) to form an airtight seal if the sub doesnt do it itself.

what should I use to cut the speaker holes?

the box I'm planning to build is going to look like this - - - all the speakers facing the same way....I was going to try and angle the outer 2 speakers, but I want to stick to something simple my first time

I'm thinking of going with 1" pdf, if nothing else it will make the calculations easier //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

my friend always seals his boxes arounds all the creases with silicone....good idea or not?

and how exactly would I brace it internally, (give me an example)

Thanks for all the suggestions!!!!

The wood that divides the subs from eachother is enough bracing.

Silicone is great for sealing.

Cut the holes with a jigsaw(drill a hole first to get it started) or set up a router jig.

yeah my internal volume is only goin be around 1.1^3

about the extra panel on the front, what does that do?

The extra panel acts like another brace cutting down flexing. Depending upon how much power your sending your subs. You may not need it. Especially considering your using 1" mdf. by the way that's going to be one heavy S.O.B. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Originally posted by ramos . Especially considering your using 1" mdf. by the way that's going to be one heavy S.O.B. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Lol, I messed up big time once...built my comp. box in the basement out of 1" MDF, 1) I couldnt carry it up the stairs by myself, and 2) It was too big and wouldnt fit through the door...it now serves as a multi purpose box, somewhere to put your feet up on when watching TV, somewhere to put your drink, plus I'm running 4 subs in it as part of my home audio system //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Well I will be running a JBL 1200 to them.

Maybe I should stick to 3/4. Is that extra quarter of an inch going to make any significant difference strength or weight-wise?

I aleady know it's going to be a pain in the ass to get in in my trunk, b/c my trunk is pretty spacious, but the opening isn't as wide as the trunk is inside, if that makes sense. And some ppl were saying my JBL might get hot running at 1.33ohms and I should put a fan on it, any ideas on that?

is the JBL amp stable @ 1 ohm? or is it only good up to 2 ohms?

if it is only good up to 2 ohms, then ya, it'll get hot and be bad for the amp if you go below the recommended OHM level it can handle

It is stable at 1ohm. And yes the extra 1/4" will make a difference weight and strength wise. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.