Bought 10w3, need opinions please!

Participant count
  • Participant list

disturbedfuel15
10+ year member

So Is Life
Hey everyone, I suppose I can introduce myself by saying that I live in Michigan, I'm 22 years old, and I love music, any kind, anywhere. Also, I am very new to the whole car audio thing, but I've attempted to put together a system that I like //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif So far, I've got a Clarion DB365USB head unit, Clarion SRR6916 6x9s in the back, powered by a Dual 300w amp, and Clarion SRC4617 4x6s in the front. I love the way they sound, very crisp and clear. I was hoping adding an amp to the rear speakers would add more bass, but it's just really not there. Now that that's out of the way, I just need your guys' opinions on a purchase I just made on good ol' ebay. I just bought a JL Audio 10" Subwoofer in a bandpass box enclosure for $71.00 shipped to my door. I know I probably should've asked how it is before I bought it, but it seemed like a deal that I couldn't pass up. Anyway, I am going to be hooking up my 300w amp to it, and I'm just wondering what I should expect of it, and if you guys think I got a good deal. Thanks a lot, and I'm hoping to start coming around these forums more often!

Best Wishes.

What are some good brand names of amps to look out for? Also, how could you tell that the box is an ebay bandpass box? I mean, how do you know it isn't a well-constructed box made by someone else? I'm not trying to prove you wrong, I'm just trying to learn //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif In the auction it just says "with enclosure box," so I'm just wondering. If it does turn out to be a POS box, would it be ok if I just did some cutting and reassembling to make it a half way decent sealed box, or is it the material that's used that *****?

Thanks again!

Please do not torture that subwoofer by keeping it in a bandpass box! If you have the funds toss the amp and get a good amp, if you really care about keeping the whole system the same here is a good lil amp for the money its a clarion 4/3/2 channel amphttp://cgi.ebay.com/CLARION-APA4320-4-3-2-CHANNEL-POWER-AMPLIFIER-AMP_W0QQitemZ320028762116QQihZ011QQcategoryZ4950QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You will be able to throw all the power that JL can handle and run your componets all on one amp. Put the JL in a sealed box if you need specs I can help you out there on a box you can either build or search the net for one. And any 4/3/2 channel amp will be sufficent to run your system, steer clear from some of the cheper brands dual, pyramid ect. Although some cheap brands do work out and the amp will do if you are short on money its just all about the install. I have had Jesen componets out perform most entry level fosgate,JL,kicker ect brands. Just do some research and we will help you out.

Right bandpass boxes are meant to get loud and my bet is if you got it off ebay its not properly built. Most that are not built close to the specs of the sub seem to be all over the place and very innaccurate. While it might get a lil louder than a sealed/ported box its also not near as accurate. The W3s love sealed boxes and IMO perform thier best in that type of enviroment. Does your head unit have a sub output on it? Any freqencey adjustments ect? What music you do listen to mostly?

Right bandpass boxes are meant to get loud and my bet is if you got it off ebay its not properly built. Most that are not built close to the specs of the sub seem to be all over the place and very innaccurate. While it might get a lil louder than a sealed/ported box its also not near as accurate. The W3s love sealed boxes and IMO perform thier best in that type of enviroment. Does your head unit have a sub output on it? Any freqencey adjustments ect? What music you do listen to mostly?
w3's perform well in sealed boxes no doubt...but to be honest..its true love is a 4th order bandpass....trust me i know...i had 2 10w3's (2001 version) in a bandpass tuned to 35hz and it was hitting the lows like crazy and had good output

dalucifer can tell u...he didnt hear it but he got a lil review of wat it was doing from one of my friends

so if u want good output and still have good sq(sq in a bandpass can be done..my current box is a clear example..i can get insanely loud and at the same time have tight accurate bass:up2somet: ) do a 4th order bandpass..but if u strictly sq and want to have a small box yea go sealed(.9cubes sealed)

Theres no doubt sq can be had if built right but hes a newbie and I am not about to send him on a quest to try and build a 4th order bandpass. I have actully seen w7s in a 4th order and W3s not really too fond of either setup either was not done right but porting w3s IMO if you want output is the best way to go any time you go bandpass even complex 4th order you sacrfice SQ no matter what seen plenty of setups and porting them and tuning them just right seems to perform and sound a whole lot better.

Yeah, I am mostly looking for quality, I could care less if the doors rattle off the hinges. I really just want deep, clean sounding bass. So I've got good news. I found the receipt for the Dual amp I bought from best buy, and it is still under the 30 day full refund policy until the end of this month //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif So, there's $77 back that can go toward a better amp. What I think I am going to end up doing is disassembling the bandpass box, and then using the material to build a sealed box. Shouldn't be too hard considering the circle part for the sub is already cut out, so all I will need to do is build walls around it. Maybe someone could help me figure out the dimensions the box would need to be? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Also, my head unit does have a subwoofer output in the back, but I don't believe it has frequency adjustments. I mostly listen to rock, techno, and some reggae when I'm feeling good :p

Ok take the amp back, start looking for a 4/3/2 channel amp on ebay kicker,JL audio,fosgate ect. Go to your local lowes/home depot and get a sheet of 3/4" MDF wood trust me you do not just wanna throw a box together from your old one. If you need specs and want to try and build it I can get them otherwise look for a prefabed box on ebay or on audio stores online. here is Jl's site should have the specs for your sub on this page just click on the w3 10 will give you specs on most sealed. ported, bandpass ect. http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs_pages.php?page_id=15

Theres no doubt sq can be had if built right but hes a newbie and I am not about to send him on a quest to try and build a 4th order bandpass. I have actully seen w7s in a 4th order and W3s not really too fond of either setup either was not done right but porting w3s IMO if you want output is the best way to go any time you go bandpass even complex 4th order you sacrfice SQ no matter what seen plenty of setups and porting them and tuning them just right seems to perform and sound a whole lot better.
actually i would never put a w7 in a bandpass of any type...they sound like high powered midbass to me

the w3's i would..even jl recommends 4th order for the w3 subs

put as far as ported boxes being the best way to go as far as output and sacrificing sq..i would have 2 agree and disagree

i agree becuz as u said the dude is a newbie...ok kool

but if he can get some to build the box for him i would do a 4th order and depending on the design he could have a 0db flat responce from 25hz-60hz or a -3db rolloff at 23hz -80hz....u can do so much with a PROPERLY designed bandpass

so as far as the sq being sacrified thats not true....i think some1 mention on this forum about a guy who won sq comps many times sing a bandpass

o i 4 got to mention thro 500watts to 1 10w3 and u really see it come alive no matter wat box application

Dont you wanna keep your componets powered? you will achieve this will a 4/3/2 amp without having to buy two amps to both either or.

Just won the ebay auction for the Bazooka 500 Watt Mono Amp. I don't care if it is mono, I got it for a STEAL ($50 shipped). I could always add a second smaller amp for my rear speakers if I want to anyway. Here are the specs on the amp:

BA1500

Voltage 10.5 -14 v

Power Output 1 x 500 watts

Channels 1

Frequency Response 20Hz-250hz

Fuse 30 Amps

Crossover YES

Protection Thermal, Short Circuit, Overload

Max Power Output 600 watts

Power @ 4 OHM 300

Power @ 2 OHM 500

Power @ 1 OHM NOT RECCOMENDED

Power @ .5 OHM NOT RECOMMENDED

Signal To Noise Ratio >90db

Battery Voltage Range 10.5-14.4

Crossover Range 40Hz - 200

Bass EQ YES

Auxillary Fuse no

Remote Control optional

RCA Input yes

Auto Turn On no

Subsonic Filter no

Now all I need to do is upgrade the power / ground cables, and I should be all set. What guage do you think I should use for this amp?

4 guage would be sufficent but 8 would work as well. I would not wire that sub below 4 ohms on that amp though, bazooka amps DO overheat at 2 ohms even when barley pushed but all in all is a decent upgrade and will power the w3 good. Now you need to start searching for a good prefabbed sealed box.

Now just because I'm not good with car audio, doesn't mean I'm not good with electronics //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif What if I added a fan or two in there to keep it cool?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.