Bose head unit help!!!

CBeck
10+ year member

Ok, let me start off by saying i absolutely HATE bose anything, speakers, amps, head units etc...

Now that i got that out of the way, i've done a bypass on a bose amp but i've never dealt with a bose head unit. i bought my wife a new truck with a bose double din touchscreen head unit with nav OEM Bose Navigation - TBSSOWNERS.com Forums - The #1 TrailblazerSS Dedicated Owners Forum this is a link i found on google to show which one it is. The truck has on star and steering wheel controls and all are working currently wired into the bose.

Now onto my question. If i replace that HU with a kenwood double din HU will i have to buy new harnesses for the onstar and steering wheel or can i use the existing ones? Thank you in advance for your help

you'll need the GMOS adapter to bypass the Class II Data Bus in the car. those run around $125. they are required. this will let you retain onstar as well as a dozen other features built into the stock radio.

you cannot reuse factory navi equipment (antenna, receiver, etc.), FYI

you can buy a PAC-audio steering wheel interface for your car, ~$50, and it varies by HU MFR.

you can bypass the Bose amp but recognize that you'll have to build your own passive crossovers for the speakers and you'll want to verify the impedance of the stock speakers. Bose likes to run 1 ohm or 2 ohm speakers.

you'll need the GMOS adapter to bypass the Class II Data Bus in the car. those run around $125. they are required. this will let you retain onstar as well as a dozen other features built into the stock radio.

you can buy a PAC-audio steering wheel interface for your car, ~$50, and it varies by HU MFR.

you can bypass the Bose amp but recognize that you'll have to build your own passive crossovers for the speakers and you'll want to verify the impedance of the stock speakers. Bose likes to run 1 ohm or 2 ohm speakers.
i'm going to replace the bose speakers as well, and drop an aftermarket amp with subs, it sounds like i'm going to have to do the head unit, speakers, and bypass the amp all in one shot to really get this to work properly. correct me if i'm wrong but if i do that, instead of bypassing the amp i can simply remove it and wire the speakers directly to the HU or aftermarket amp if if have one at the time.

PAC has the SWI-X now that works with all brands rather than getting the SWI-JACK or the SWI-PS. My SWI-JACK worked well for a couple years in my Jeep but it's starting to act up on me. I may be looking to replace it soon with something else. There are other options out there if you search. I've heard the Axxess one works extremely well. My buddy has it in his GTO and it's infinitely faster than the PAC.

i'm going to replace the bose speakers as well, and drop an aftermarket amp with subs, it sounds like i'm going to have to do the head unit, speakers, and bypass the amp all in one shot to really get this to work properly. correct me if i'm wrong but if i do that, instead of bypassing the amp i can simply remove it and wire the speakers directly to the HU or aftermarket amp if if have one at the time.
I would run new wiring to speakers from HU or new amp. I wouldnt use any Bose wiring for simplicity and resale if you reinstall it when you sell it.

I would run new wiring to speakers from HU or new amp. I wouldnt use any Bose wiring for simplicity and resale if you reinstall it when you sell it.
absolutely i don't want that garbage wire, plus that will let me run a 12 or 14 ga wire throughout

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.