Boat sub enclosure help

kerpit
10+ year member

I have a 19 foot open bow boat and i installed the sub (alpine type r 1242d) a few years ago in the very front of the bow facing upwards right under a seat. I blocked off the front area from the side storage compartments so it would be a sealed enclosure. It seemed to me that the seat cushion right on top of the sub cone was really inhibiting the sound so i raised the seat so there is a 3/4 gap between the seat cushion and the sub and it made a decent difference. This year i was wanting to create this space which is 1.7 cubic feet volume i measured by filling with water, a ported enclosure at 33 hertz. Where will most of the sound be emitted from the sub? Does sound actually come from the port or only used as a resistance to cone movement? I just want to get the most out of this space, i have no other areas to place a sub. Or is there a way to reflect sound from the under side of the seat instead of it muffling it? What would you guys do with this space?

View attachment 26524129

thanks for any input!

-Brian

personally i would face it towards the back of the boat like towards the cpts. chair and have my ports going straight up to your 3/4 inch gap but thats just me. or maybe instead of customizing it into the seats just get a regular ported box and place it in back it could double as another seat hahaha

i did this to mine, not sure how much room you have in these spots but here is a idea..

2010-06-06164155.jpg

2010-06-06180424.jpg

2010-06-06164201.jpg

2010-06-06180430.jpg

2010-06-06184201.jpg

Each have 1.75 cubes ported to 35 hz, port fires to the side of the boat. suckers get loud for only 800 rms

the sub is an alpine type r 1242d. i can't put the sub under the helm or port side, i would love to but i use that space already. I can't face the sub parallel to the floor because there is not enough space to mount it. I Love the 4th order bandpass, so do i build the enclosure so the port is facing towards the rear and not deal with the seat? And what volume am i shooting for? I only have specs for sealed and ported.

-Brian

oh wow...something I know about. Allow me to share my experience. Ironically, I had to exact same sub you had the last 2 seasons on my boat. I think doing a sealed enclosure is kind of a waste. You definitely want ported if you want output. If you have a ported enclosure on a boat the best place to put is under the driver or passenger console with the sub and port firing at the hull. If you can't use this space for a sub than I wouldn't waste time trying other options. Ported will be fine as far as moisture...just epoxy resin the box inside and out. You want to tune the port higher on a boat than you would in a car. Sub firing into open enviornment won't produce the results you're looking for. I'm installing a Sundown Z15 v.2 on my boat atm 3.25^ft @ 35hz, can't wait to see how that does at party cove //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.