BMW 7 series audio install

bigaudiofanatic
10+ year member

Dynamic Mobile Audio
Dover DE
Well this is very exciting for me. Thursday I received a message asking if I would like to do an install on a 2001 BMW 740. After talking to him for two days I took a ride up to him on Saturday to meet him and the car. After him reading about me and my work he had no problem handing the keys over to take it home. He left Monday for a 2 week vacation.

Enough with that story, time to talk about the install.

Goodies include

Q 450.4 - Image Dynamics 4-Channel 450 Watt Amplifier

Q 1200.1 - Image Dynamics 1-Channel 1200 Watt Amplifier

IDQ12V2.D2 - Image Dynamics 12" IDQ $149.99 x 2

130CVX - Focal 5.25 " Polyglass Coaxial Speakers

MTX re-Q Signal Processor

JL CleanSweep CL441DSP

Stinger Pro 3 Series 6 Channel

Head rest tv's

Kicker 12 Guage S series 150ft

Kicker PKD1

FOCAL 165VR3 3 WAY COMPONENT SET

Dynamat 10455 Xtreme Bulk Pack 9 Sheets

This install will very much help my skills and expand them to fiberglass and custom boxes.

I will update this thread daily with new work and pictures.

The ride

100_1670.jpg

100_1669.jpg

Trunk

100_1668.jpg

Work today included making the new parts to raise the floor to flush mount the amps and the sub box.

100_1672.jpg

100_1671.jpg

100_1673.jpg

UPS Dropped off some goodies!

100_1674.jpg

100_1675.jpg

More stuff to come in the mail

100_1676.jpg

sounds like a fun build.

take tons of pics. one question though.. how are you going to incorporate the jl cleansweep and the mtx req? PLEASE let me know how your mtx req install goes. i did an install on my lexus with a req and wow. ive had quite a few problems, i managed to fix all of them, except the engine noise that i get from it!!!!!!!!!! let me know how your install with the req goes.

Please do a great job because the car is beautiful and the parts look to be pretty darn good themselves //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

GL! Subscribed for more pics!

As of right now I am talking to a few people on the BMW forum. Some tell me that I can just use the preouts of the head unit and wire them up to female rca ends and run them to the new amps. Others are saying that the JL is needed. I will let you know.

I will make sure to take plenty of pictures.

As of right now I am talking to a few people on the BMW forum. Some tell me that I can just use the preouts of the head unit and wire them up to female rca ends and run them to the new amps. Others are saying that the JL is needed. I will let you know.

I will make sure to take plenty of pictures.
any updates on this build?

anyways, thanks, yeah let me know.

and i think you'll definitely need teh req or the cleansweep if your going to stick with stock hu. i would definitely do it. those femal rcas wont give you as good clean sound as the processor will. i thought about it also before i got my req. jl makes some of those female ends that connect to the speaker leds and conver it into rca outputs, but they'll give you much lower quality sound (or from the research that i did, thtas what i found out).

Things have been a bit slow. Tomorrow "sunday" things are going to get serious pretty quick. Looking to get the fallowing done

Dynamat

Rear doors ready for new speakers and speaker wire

Rear deck close off removal

Kick panels at least started

Head rest tv's

JL clean sweep

With other stuff going on I still was able to get the JL clean sweep in.

Started out taking the panels off.

100_1679.jpg

Cat always lending a hand.

100_1680.jpg

I HATE WIRE TAPS

100_1681.jpg

Soldering all the wires

100_1685.jpg

100_1687.jpg

Wrapped the JL's wires up to clean up the look.

100_1688.jpg

Today i worked on the kick panels. The reason for this is there is no stock location for a 6.5 inch speaker in the door. Also this will help imaging a bit by having them facing the drive and passenger.

Drilled holes to help the fiberglass hold to the stock panel.

100_1689.jpg

Laying down the foil and tape to protect the carpet.

100_1690.jpg

Laying the cloth and resin

100_1691.jpg

100_1692.jpg

While that was curing I took off the door panel to take a look at the mid and tweeters.

The owner said that the speakers were upgraded but he did not know what they were. All that was upgraded was the tweeter.

100_1693.jpg

100_1694.jpg

Have to make a bracket to hold the smaller mid but will be well worth it.

100_1696.jpg

The new tweeter

100_1697.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.