BMW 318ti false floor sub project!!!

Rochey6957
10+ year member

Hey all this is my first thread and first major audio project. I drive a 1998 BMW 318ti. I have a pioneer headunit and cd changer. The headunit is keh-p4020 and the cd changer is cdx p670.

My plan is to hide the amplifier with a false floor in the trunk and mount the speakers in this new false floor. I will create an appropriate sized enclosure for the speakers though. It will be incorporated into the false floor. My only concern with this is how to I protect the speakers from being damaged? I still want to be able to use the trunk. I was thinking of covering the speaker areas with plexiglas but would that dampen the sound? Maybe a thin metal grill would work?

I recently purchased a jbl grand touring 601.1 amplifier. I have a general understanding of of how to instal an amplifier in my car but I have some more specific questions. My questions are regarding my cd changer.

If I run my power cable for the amp along the passenger side of the car I would be running it along side the wires for my cd changer. Would this cause humming or noise when running the cd player? Also would I ground the amplifier to the same location as the cd changer to avoid ground loop?

What are some speaker recommendations you guys think would work well with my amp? I don't know wether to go with one or two subs? Or ten or 12 inches? Any suggestions are appreciated //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Thanks,

I talked to a crutchfield expert today and was very pleased //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif he cleared a few things up for me. he said to ground the amp on the same bolt as the CD changer. Im also leaning to a two sub set up with two Dual Voice Coil wired in parallel. this would create a two ohm load which is great for my amp. I just need to find some 300 watt RMS DVC subs now //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Hey all this is my first thread and first major audio project. I drive a 1998 BMW 318ti. I have a pioneer headunit and cd changer. The headunit is keh-p4020 and the cd changer is cdx p670.
My plan is to hide the amplifier with a false floor in the trunk and mount the speakers in this new false floor. I will create an appropriate sized enclosure for the speakers though. It will be incorporated into the false floor. My only concern with this is how to I protect the speakers from being damaged? I still want to be able to use the trunk. I was thinking of covering the speaker areas with plexiglas but would that dampen the sound? Maybe a thin metal grill would work?

I recently purchased a jbl grand touring 601.1 amplifier. I have a general understanding of of how to instal an amplifier in my car but I have some more specific questions. My questions are regarding my cd changer.

If I run my power cable for the amp along the passenger side of the car I would be running it along side the wires for my cd changer. Would this cause humming or noise when running the cd player? Also would I ground the amplifier to the same location as the cd changer to avoid ground loop?

What are some speaker recommendations you guys think would work well with my amp? I don't know wether to go with one or two subs? Or ten or 12 inches? Any suggestions are appreciated //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Thanks,
power, ground, remote turn on, I usually put on the opposite side.

drivers side = power, grounds, remote.

Passenger side = RCA and other signal interconnects.

once you find out what subs you want to run, you can figure out what kind of speaker grill is appropriete for those subs. you might have to under mount them and then use a standard mesh wire grill from the swapmart or something. So you have excrussion clearence.

I would also suggest another location. the rear corners would be a better choice, rather then giving up a spare tire. and the changers usuallt hang on the underside of the rear deck or in the glove box.

Just did a little shopping around and found these two guys which do you think is better?

The pyle seems a little lower end to me?

Amazon.com: Pyle PLBW84 Blue Wave 8" 600W High-powered Subwoofer: Electronics

Id end up underpoweing this legacy put thats better then overpowering.

Amazon.com: Legacy LW12590 12-Inch 2000 Watt DVC Legacy Red Series Subwoofer: Electronics

Legacy LW12590 12" 2000W DVC Legacy Red Subwoofer | eBay

Which do you think is better quality? Are either of them good quality?

none of them are worth the money. if you're on a budget, look at Dayton Audio at Parts Express. decent quality stuff. or look at our classifieds section.

i've done several builds with false floors. here are some i documented for ideas:

http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1369669/page/3#Post1369669

http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1400581/page/3#Post1400581

http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1755977/page/3#Post1755977

My cousin dropped one of the subs off for me too look at and this monster is huge!!! It's a fenix audio arts subwoofer. It's DVC 2x4 ohm so 2 Ohms wired in parallel. It says 1200 watts on the label but no rms value. It's model fnx-w1206. Idk if you guys have heard of it or not but I figured I'd post nd then do a little looking around.

Thanks

Is an ebay wiring kit like this

something that would be good to use?

Or can you get the same things from like advance auto for cheaper? better quality?

Also what is the safest way to clean out the inside of my amp? it has all kinds of dust on the inside of it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif compressed air? vacuum it?

The gold screws for all the connectors including power and speaker cables are almost corroded? they just look really ******. Is there anyway to clean them or should I find new ones?

The Plexiglas cover on it is scratched to all hell any way to find replacements for JBL or should I just make a new cover? Its only a rectangle so it wouldn't be hard to make.

thanks

hey guys! i need help on how to build a false floor? i have a 99 eclipse! im trying to take out the back seat and put a false floor, for my 10" swx sub. so i can still use my trunk. because the back seat is useless.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.