blueprint subs?

Participant count
  • Participant list

HincklNutt
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Blueprint Drivers went out of business like 2 years ago, so if you ever have a problem, you may be SOL ...
****, that makes it iffy. anyone else heard or used one? how did it sound/what other woofer would you compair it too?

what about the soundsplinter RL-p15" ?
I've been looking in that direction also. I've read many reports that it gets as loud as a Brahma (louder to the ear, slightly softer to the mic, supposedly). I wonder about its SQ, though, because I haven't seen many subjective reviews of these subs.

I've been looking in that direction also. I've read many reports that it gets as loud as a Brahma (louder to the ear, slightly softer to the mic, supposedly). I wonder about its SQ, though, because I haven't seen many subjective reviews of these subs.
they look like really nice quality subs/from what ive read/heard they have awesome customer service aswell.

And they're fairly attractive. Again, I only wonder about the SQ, as I haven't read much regarding that aspect, and do not care too much about the extreme SPL levels it can reach (as I know that a 15" will be plenty for me in a daily setting). Also, looking at the specs for TC Sounds' TC9, this Soundsplinter sub, which is based on that model, has a few different properties (higher Fs, lower Vas, lower Bl, and others). I'm left wondering what was changed and why, considering that their lower line is supposedly an exact reproduction of the TC2+.

Anyway, as I said, they're attractive little subs. I love that cone shape. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

post-49-1097296299.jpg

i also would really like to know how it sounds. i know it will get plenty loud, i just dont whant sub par sq.
There's no way they'll have subpar SQ. I'd expect it to be fairly similar to most other TC9 based woofers, i.e. Magnum D2, A series, EVO-R series, etc...

There's no way they'll have subpar SQ. I'd expect it to be fairly similar to most other TC9 based woofers, i.e. Magnum D2, A series, EVO-R series, etc...
I was about to ask about the technical differences between these subs (what parts/designs don't they have in common). If they all share the same motor structure, what sets their sound apart? And having the same motor wouldn't guarantee that they sound as good as a D2 or A series, I would assume (especially considering the price differences)... ?

I was about to ask about the technical differences between these subs (what parts/designs don't they have in common). If they all share the same motor structure, what sets their sound apart? And having the same motor wouldn't guarantee that they sound as good as a D2 or A series, I would assume (especially considering the price differences)... ?
Well, we'd have to know the coil configurations to be certain. The listed DUMAX data for the 15 gives an Xmag of 27.4mm, and an Xsus of 24.6mm. So xmax is 24.6mm, which puts it right in the same ballpark as the D2 and the A. Xmax on the 12 is 24.2mm. The 15 tested had a coil which was 4mm ahead of center, so it's BL, Qes, Qts and Xmag specs may be slightly off, but shouldn't be all that significantly different. The suspension is the limiting factor, rather than the motor, so it's unlikely that it would alter the xmax any. The 12 is only 1.4mm ahead of center, which isn't a very significant deviation. Again, suspension is the limiting factor, so it wouldn't effect xmax.
The motor/coil combinations are somewhat similar. The soundsplinter drivers have copper shorting rings integrated into the design as well. The D2 drivers do not have that, to the best of my knowledge.

The DCR of the Soundsplinter drivers is slightly higher as well, so they probably use a slightly smaller gauge of wire in the coil.

The D2 also uses a 1.5" wide roll surround, and the Soundsplinter driver uses a 1" half-roll santoprene surround.

They are both great drivers. If the Soundsplinter driver is cheaper, I'd probably buy it.

Nick is definitely an awesome guy, and I certainly wouldn't hesitate purchasing a product from him. I remember talking to him years ago when the Magnum was just a dream of his, and it's very cool to see that dream come to fruition.

Whichever driver you choose, I'm sure you will be satisfied. I'd wager the D2 will take a bit more abuse, and perhaps handle a bit more power.

Hope that helps.

Well, we'd have to know the coil configurations to be certain. The listed DUMAX data for the 15 gives an Xmag of 27.4mm, and an Xsus of 24.6mm. So xmax is 24.6mm, which puts it right in the same ballpark as the D2 and the A. Xmax on the 12 is 24.2mm. The 15 tested had a coil which was 4mm ahead of center, so it's BL, Qes, Qts and Xmag specs may be slightly off, but shouldn't be all that significantly different. The suspension is the limiting factor, rather than the motor, so it's unlikely that it would alter the xmax any. The 12 is only 1.4mm ahead of center, which isn't a very significant deviation. Again, suspension is the limiting factor, so it wouldn't effect xmax.
The motor/coil combinations are somewhat similar. The soundsplinter drivers have copper shorting rings integrated into the design as well. The D2 drivers do not have that, to the best of my knowledge.

The DCR of the Soundsplinter drivers is slightly higher as well, so they probably use a slightly smaller gauge of wire in the coil.

The D2 also uses a 1.5" wide roll surround, and the Soundsplinter driver uses a 1" half-roll santoprene surround.

They are both great drivers. If the Soundsplinter driver is cheaper, I'd probably buy it.

Nick is definitely an awesome guy, and I certainly wouldn't hesitate purchasing a product from him. I remember talking to him years ago when the Magnum was just a dream of his, and it's very cool to see that dream come to fruition.

Whichever driver you choose, I'm sure you will be satisfied. I'd wager the D2 will take a bit more abuse, and perhaps handle a bit more power.

Hope that helps.
Awesome reply. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Would cone materials alter sound in any significant way? The Soundsplinter sub uses an aluminum cone, while I was under the impression that the A series and D2 did not (I’m not entirely sure about the D2, though). The only other subs that I’ve seen using an aluminum cone have been TC Sound’s giant 34mm xmax sub, presumably designed to achieve high SPL, and Eclipse’s Ti and TiPro, which are also credited for their potential for loudness. So does the cone construction have any significant bearing on this? I assume that it would increase moving mass, and would therefore require a stronger motor to control its motion properly… ?

Also, the Soundsplinter is $100 cheaper than the D2 ($250 vs. $350). I was also considering the Oz Matrix Elite, which is $400 direct from factory. They all share the same buildhouse, I believe. (Does Oz still use TC Sounds?)

At this point, I’m convinced that I’ll get the desired volume from any of these subs. The question is now about more subjective things.

The Eclipse Ti and Ti Pro use Titanium cones, not aluminum //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
Hmm. You’re right. The people at the Soundsplinter forums mentioned a comparison between Eclipse and the RL-p series, and I assumed they were not talking about Eclipse’s lower Aluminum series. I was hoping that the Soundsplinter would compare favorably with the Ti, but I guess they weren’t referring to line.

Awesome reply. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Would cone materials alter sound in any significant way? The Soundsplinter sub uses an aluminum cone, while I was under the impression that the A series and D2 did not (I’m not entirely sure about the D2, though). The only other subs that I’ve seen using an aluminum cone have been TC Sound’s giant 34mm xmax sub, presumably designed to achieve high SPL, and Eclipse’s Ti and TiPro, which are also credited for their potential for loudness. So does the cone construction have any significant bearing on this? I assume that it would increase moving mass, and would therefore require a stronger motor to control its motion properly… ?

Also, the Soundsplinter is $100 cheaper than the D2 ($250 vs. $350). I was also considering the Oz Matrix Elite, which is $400 direct from factory. They all share the same buildhouse, I believe. (Does Oz still use TC Sounds?)

At this point, I’m convinced that I’ll get the desired volume from any of these subs. The question is now about more subjective things.
Honestly, cone material for subwoofers is about the LEAST important thing to worry about. As long as its properly designed, it really won't make much of a difference at the freqeucneis subwoofers play.
The new Matrix Elite drivers actually look more like something from ID than TC Sounds. They only have 2" diameter voice coils, so they won't handle nearly as much power as the Soundsplinter or the D2.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.