blown Type R

Participant count
  • Participant list

EvilEd

I have a Fosgate Punch 1000BD that's been pushing two JL 12w6v3 at 1ohm for about 8 years without issue, I hooked the amp up to 1 alpine type R dual 2 ohm wired to 1 ohm in a 1.6 sq ft ported to 39 hz box with the infrasonic filter turned on on the amp but the sub blew after about 20 minutes of moderately loud usage (70-80%). I know the specs on the box weren't perfect and the infrasonic filter at 29 hz is far from 39 hz, but should it really have been enough to blow the sub? The gain was set really low, lower than it was with the W6s. I didn't hear distortion and by the time i smelled the smoke it was too late. I'm wondering if I got a bad sub (purchased from one of these cheap no warranty stores) or if the box could have caused the damage.

You were probably clipping and didn't know it. If you smell smoke, then yeah you abused it. Infrasonic filter at 29hz is just about right for a 39hz box so I don't think that's the issue. Just make sure you set your gains correctly next time. It should NOT be anywhere close to 70-80% on the gain knob.

thanks for the feedback! That was my initial thought too but I dont understand how the JLs managed for so long. They are still in fine working condition, I had to put them back in after the Type R blew.

When I say 70-80% I mean that was the volume on the deck. The volume was about 27/35 on my Alpine with 4v preouts. The gain was set at 3 or about 20%, when I had the 12W6s it was set at 5 or about 30%. I accept the fact that I may have been clipping the signal but are JLs really so much stronger that they can take a signal that's clipping even harder for up to 8 hours per day for 8 years at 70-80% volume but the alpine could only take 20 minutes? I've never seen a sub fall apart so easily, and it sounded amazing before it started smoking. I really think I got a bad sub....

You have two subwoofers meaning two sets of coils, the heat dissipation is much better. The type R is only a 2.5 inch coil, not much bigger than a w6, actually it might even be the same size. If its your coil darkened and slinky'd, its not a bad sub, its USER ERROR. If its something else then its a defect.

Bad head unit settings can run your setup into clipping.

Bad quality music will run the setup into clipping also.

If you are using line convertors or something else within the signal, those can easily clip the signal too.

After further consideration I'm thinking this was user error. You make a good point about 2 subs displacing heat versus 1 and JL subs have some advanced cooling capabilities. Also, the JL subs are 600W RMS each so they're only being pushed to 83% at 1000w where the Alpine is being pushed to 100% of it's RMS capabilities.

I also upgraded some wiring and the battery so the extra current may be causing harder clipping, I did notice that when I put the JLs back in they are hitting harder than they were before even at the lower gain setting.

I'm just surprised because I've been playing with car stereos for 20 years and I've made a lot of mistakes but I've never seen slight clipping eat up a sub so quickly. But then again I've never played with such high current subs. I guess I really need to use a multi-meter at this level.

Thanks again for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
you'd benefit a lot more with a properly designed ported box. I'd highly suggest you stop paying money for prefab junk.
yeah, I get that, I planned on building or buying a custom box, this was just temporary. But the sub only lasted about an hour so I'm glad I didn't spend a couple hundred bucks on a box, the one in the pic I grabbed from a friend because I wanted to see what the Type R would sound like with a 39hz port since I was going for spl. I think I might just get an HCCA and new amp, custom box, new alternator and big 5 wiring upgrade. This time I won't take any shortcuts and I'll just keep the JLs in until the other system is actually ready, and I'll use a multi-meter.

[quote name='EvilEd']yeah, I get that, I planned on building or buying a custom box, this was just temporary. But the sub only lasted about an hour so I'm glad I didn't spend a couple hundred bucks on a box, the one in the pic I grabbed from a friend because I wanted to see what the Type R would sound like with a 39hz port since I was going for spl. I think I might just get an HCCA and new amp, custom box, new alternator and big 5 wiring upgrade. This time I won't take any shortcuts and I'll just keep the JLs in until the other system is actually ready, and I'll use a multi-meter.[/QUOTE]

Try building a box yourself. *OFFICIAL* Free Ported Box Plans (56k NO!!) - Dodge SRT Forum

Go to home depot or lows, buy some wood, have the guys there make all the cuts for you, take it home. Glue and screw, get a jigsaw and cut the sub hole and viola, your are done!

If you need a quality builder at a good price shipped to your door, hit up @CSCStang for a quote.

here's pics of his work, he'll get you loud
https://www.facebook.com/Cscstang-customs-544782418996602/photos/

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.