Better SQ amp set up?

Participant count
  • Participant list

thevolunator
10+ year member

I was eventually planning on trading in my JL Audio (XM700/5) amp for the (HD900/5) But, I'm starting to second guess it a little. The first reason is "head room". I will be running a JL10w6 (most likely sealed) and the Boston Pro60's for my front 'stage' and the SR65's as my rear fill...

Everything I read from you SQ guys:) seems to lead me to MORE POWER. It seems that to get the best SQ possible from my speakers/amp is to basically double the power and adjust the gains down to allow for maximum "head room". Now, with my set up...Would the HD900/5 give me what I looking for? Or should I do something like...Take my current 700/5 amp and 'bridge' the main channels down to 200wrms@4Ohm and then Buy a HD750/1 amp just for my sub stage?

Or is there better SQ amps out there that I'm not looking at? Was reading about the Hertz HDP amps and they seem to have awesome reviews for SQ.

Any Thoughts??

Well, first off, the BA Pros are 3 ohms so bridging the amp to them might not work as not many amps are bridgeable below 4 ohms.

What I would do is sell the JL Amp and get this for your front stage: http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acoustics-GT-2200-Reference-2-Channel/dp/B0036N65WU

and this for your sub: http://www.techronics.com/caraudio_11131_Boston-Acoustics-GTA-800M-1-Channel-800-Watts-RMS-GTA-Series-Class-D-Monoblock-Amplifier.html?aff=72182

Both amps will have nice enough SQ for you, play all day long and are priced very well IMO.

Another amp to look into to power your fronts would be: Aura RPM2300 RPM Stage 2 Mobile Amplifier 2x150W 269-189

You dont necessarily have to amp your rears unless you just really want to which in that case you could do something like this: http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/bostonacousticsgt-4100.aspx or this if you want to spend more and have 50w more per channel: http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/alpinepdx-f6.aspx

However, if you really want to amp all four, its gonna be hard to find a 4 channel that does the kind of power those BA Pros want w/o bridging it; so, I'd run a robust 2 channel up front, use HU power or a small cheap 2 channel for your rears, and get a nice sub amp. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I got a t1000-4ad

Look at this //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif

2012-02-03_19-00-12_382.jpg
[/img]

What about these?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Front Stage and Rear Fill....Hertz HDP-4 (1000w amp)
tec_hdp4.gif

Along with this for my Sub Stage....Hertz HDP-1 (1000w amp)
tec_hdp1.gif

LOL ^^^ forgot about that amp (with the upside down pic)
OP, if you get that amp, watch those gains. Especially in the rear ...
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

What about these?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
Front Stage and Rear Fill....HERTZ by Elettromedia - Special Car Stereo

Along with this for my Sub Stage....http://http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/default_en.htm
links didnt work for me....but I'm assuming you're referring to the HDP 4 for your fronts and rears and HDP 1 for the sub. they seem to be very nice amps. I doubt I could justify buying em over something else of equal quality for less though. Alot of Hertz stuff is overpriced IMO from Amps to comps. But, hey, if it'll make u feel better to know you have Hertz Powaahh, more powah to ya! If I had it to blow, I might give em a try too.

links didnt work for me....but I'm assuming you're referring to the HDP 4 for your fronts and rears and HDP 1 for the sub. they seem to be very nice amps. I doubt I could justify buying em over something else of equal quality for less though. Alot of Hertz stuff is overpriced IMO from Amps to comps. But, hey, if it'll make u feel better to know you have Hertz Powaahh, more powah to ya! If I had it to blow, I might give em a try too.

Actually, I don't even know the price. lol. Figured they were in the same range as the JL Audio amps. I did hear the JL 900/5 the other day at the and was impressed. But, like you said they do have a price. That's also what got me looking into the other higher end brands. I figured if I was willing to spend $700 on the JL 900/5 maybe I should make sure that there isn't something out there that may be better for roughly the same money. (I'm not buying all of this at once...btw)

Edit: also fixed the link error above

Actually, I don't even know the price. lol. Figured they were in the same range as the JL Audio amps. I did hear the JL 900/5 the other day at the and was impressed. But, like you said they do have a price. That's also what got me looking into the other higher end brands. I figured if I was willing to spend $700 on the JL 900/5 maybe I should make sure that there isn't something out there that may be better for roughly the same money. (I'm not buying all of this at once...btw)

Edit: also fixed the link error above
I run an Alpine PDX 5 on my golf cart and had a Boston Acoustics GT40 in my tC. The Alpine PDX is supposedly more "high end" but in the end by BA amp sounds just as good. I'm not saying all amps will sound the amp, because they won't. But, some amps are just darn good (not even for the price) just darn good! The Boston GT series, IMO, is one of those types of amps (How many other amps are stable to one ohm stereo and 2 ohms bridged for example?) The lower price tag than the JL HD amps and Hertz Amps is just an added bonus. If you really want to spend some real money on amps I'd look into Zapco, Mcintosh, Mosconi...stuff like that. But, IMO, the decision between, say, the JL HD and the Boston GT is a no brainer for me especially when I look at the price tags.

Ok, regardless of the brand that I settle on...Am I on the right track though in my "head room" thinking?
Headroom is always good especially for midbass performance. But, IMO, a properly setup amp of less power with a good install will still do everything the amp with headroom will do in alot of cases.

I see you also have the BA sr65's on the golf cart. What'd you think about them? As you know, I have them in my rear doors for my fill and I can't tell a lot about them right now, mainly because of there location. I think.

I see you also have the BA sr65's on the golf cart. What'd you think about them? As you know, I have them in my rear doors for my fill and I can't tell a lot about them right now, mainly because of there location. I think.
Just posted a vid actually: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/video-database/534821-sq-golf-cart-anyone.html you tell me how u think they sound //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif I love them personally. They have a very smooth midrange and nice smooth tweeter sound to them with decent midbass even in coax version in less than perfect enclosure on a golf cart. I was about to go ahead and get the SR comps for my front stage in my car but decided I want to try something different, started looking at the Massive CK6, then finally decided to go active and headed to Parts Express for raw drivers. I always recommend the Boston SR series to anyone in that price range looking to go passive though.

Headroom is always good especially for midbass performance. But, IMO, a properly setup amp of less power with a good install will still do everything the amp with headroom will do in alot of cases.
See, that's what I was thinking. I thought it would really give me a clean/tight mid-bass by doubling my power. especially with those Pro60's and a sealed/deadened door. Right now, I'm getting good mid-bass because of those JL 6's in the back. But, It also sounds like to me that I'm losing a LOT below say 50hz.(which the JL10w6 should cure)

I'm just worried that I may loose some of that mid-bass sound that I have now, when I get rid of those JL6's...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.