Best way to get SPEAKER WIRE into BOX?!?!?!

Heeltoeclutch
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Alright so I've just built my first box (sealed, for E8 v.2) with a friend and was gonna buy a terminal cup (haven't found one locally yet) and use it for the box, but I read some audio "experts" recommending not to use them because of leak risks - although I would silicone it. sacsking916 recommended driving two studs through the box and using nuts and ring terminals and I like this idea, but know nothing about driving "studs," how do you do it, I suppose they're at home depot?

My friend has always just drilled a hole and siliconed around the speaker wire, sealing the hole. I want the box to be easily removable though. What do you guys think? Can you tell me more about the studs option? or is the cup better? or something else?

Thanks! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Id use a terminal cup. No reason the terminal cup wont seal if you have the box carpeted. I glue mine in and use screws plus the carpet. No way its not air tight.

Both ways work.

Ive used both ways and really havent had any problems from both.

Using studs is the same thing a terminal cup is but without the plastic case and in my mind, way easier.

Mookie can you tell me more about using the studs? Like how to get them in, seal it, where to get them, what they look like?

Also will carpet interfere with the seal between sub and box? I had that realization midway through the build.

Drilling a hole in the box and just running the speaker wire through it is the easiest way IMO, however the only problem with it is once you seal it you really can't remove the wire without unsealing the hole lol. Another way would be to run a bolt through with the side with the nut facing into the box, wrap the speaker wire around the nut and the washer.

Drilling a hole in the box and just running the speaker wire through it is the easiest way IMO, however the only problem with it is once you seal it you really can't remove the wire without unsealing the hole lol. Another way would be to run a bolt through with the side with the nut facing into the box, wrap the speaker wire around the nut and the washer.
Or use a ring terminal....

*facepalm*

Another way would be to run a bolt through with the side with the nut facing into the box, wrap the speaker wire around the nut and the washer.
Hmmm I like this idea - like the stud but I know how to drive a bolt into something lol. Anyone on getting the stud into the box? If it doesn't had a head... Do you just silicone it in or something?

Hmmm I like this idea - like the stud but I know how to drive a bolt into something lol. Anyone on getting the stud into the box? If it doesn't had a head... Do you just silicone it in or something?
Just use a bolt, a couple of washers, and a couple of nuts...it's pretty self-explanatory.

Mmkay I was thinking stud as in just the threaded part of a bolt... But the bolt driven from the inside sounds like a great idea. Thanks a lot guys //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.