Best sub for clarity?

I agree with this.

But OT: are there some ways to produce a seemingly tight sounding bass from a ported enclosure?
Yes, you will need to design it around the vehicle your using it in. Generally low tuned enclosures will give the flattest response in most vehicles.Tuning an enclosure low say 28-32hz will give a flatter response than 35-40hz tune in most vehicles. The only drawback to the vented enclosure is it is going to be boomy around the tuning frequency. Sealed enclosures are easiest when your looking for more of a sound quality system, because of there mostly even reponse between 35-70hz range where most of the sub bass material is recorded.

JL 12w6v2

Aliante 12"

Image dynamics is a good 1 too.

Make sure your amp is something made for sq, so don't try to run hifonics to one of these. thats just stupid.

If your looking for something mainstream by chance here are a few.JL w7 or w6

Alpine Type X

Inifity kappa perfect dvq
In my opinion I will have to disagree on the type x.

I have heard it in two vechicles and its jsut doesn't sound appealing to me.

Infinity is fairly good, but their power is over rated, the 12" model that i used stated 400 RMS for a 12"

I ran it 300 and it would get fairly hottt.

maybe I had a bad 1?

I agree with what your saying, but im sorry if you listen to a 12 right next to a 10 the 12 is more sloppy then a 10 because its bigger and needs more air to move. If it were not so why would they create different sizes?
I am getting 12s because I prefer the sound of the 12 as to me its a bit deeper overall but if you want to be hit like a truck hit you then 10s are the way to go from what I have heard and we have owned some sick systems over the years soo..
Did you read what I wrote? Did you read and understand the link that I posted?

If you didn't understand the link, PM me and I'll be glad to explain it to you.

Look, I'm not going to get into this because it will be an injustice to this topic. This (the tightness arguments and sub sizes, etc) has been discussed on this forum for YEARS and there are PLENTY of threads that you can view that go on for tens of pages with all the in's and out's of subwoofer tightness.

I'll have to disagree on the type x.
Alpine is anything but SQ.

Infinity is fairly good, but their power is over rated, stated 400 RMS for a 12"

The type x can actually sound really good. And please do not say alpine is anything but sq. You must not have heard any f#1 stuff. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Have never heard of them, specs?
ICON 12D2/D1

At the heart of the ICON line up, we have the ICON 12. With a perfect

mixture of output and sound quality the ICON 12 is pure sonic joy. With a dual spiders and a powerful motor, you can be rest assured you will have excellent linear excursion from the ICON 12. If you really want to move some air without losing any bit of clarity, the ICON 12 is a top choice.

# 3” wide, 4 layer, copper voice coil

# Push terminals

# Pulp Fiber Cone

# Dual stiff progressive spiders

# FEA optimized motor structure

# 3" Anodized aluminum former

# Heavy Duty Lead wires

# Design and hand crafted in USA

# Fs 29.9

# Qms 5.87

# Qes .45

# Qts .42

# Mms 212 g

# Sd 480 cm^2

# Vas 43.7 l

# Bl 16.4

# Spl 86.0 1W/1m

# Xmax 20.5mm

# Wattage: 1000RMS

# Displacement: 0.16cuft

Buy a SSA Icon 12'' D1/D2 w/ a Hifonic's BXi2006i + ported box = sex.

The type x can actually sound really good. And please do not say alpine is anything but sq. You must not have heard any f#1 stuff. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
sql, I'd give you that 1 but I'm not sure about going into sq with a type X.

Don't get me wrong, I won't argue with you, you seem like you know more then me, but All the type X set-ups I have heard were not in the same realm of other SQ subwoofers. I Think they "BOOM" quite a bit, and they hit fairly hard, an old buddy of mine has 2 12"s running of a rockford 2000.1bd

Rattles my teeth, but when we try to play something acoustically pleasant it just doesn't seem to wrap around the right responce. Granted his box isn't tuned for Bach, but I have heard a 10 type x in a truck enclosure, sealed, and granted it still made the little 2door s10 shake like crazy, I didn't like the quality.

but if you know of a great set-up or an enclosure to make a type X sound like a godly cheesecake from the heavens, please let me know.

*If you don't know, don't speculate.

If you wish to know, seek knowledge

If you do know, speak up and teach the world*

ICON 12D2/D1At the heart of the ICON line up, we have the ICON 12. With a perfect

mixture of output and sound quality the ICON 12 is pure sonic joy. With a dual spiders and a powerful motor, you can be rest assured you will have excellent linear excursion from the ICON 12. If you really want to move some air without losing any bit of clarity, the ICON 12 is a top choice.

# 3” wide, 4 layer, copper voice coil

# Push terminals

# Pulp Fiber Cone

# Dual stiff progressive spiders

# FEA optimized motor structure

# 3" Anodized aluminum former

# Heavy Duty Lead wires

# Design and hand crafted in USA

# Fs 29.9

# Qms 5.87

# Qes .45

# Qts .42

# Mms 212 g

# Sd 480 cm^2

# Vas 43.7 l

# Bl 16.4

# Spl 86.0 1W/1m

# Xmax 20.5mm

# Wattage: 1000RMS

# Displacement: 0.16cuft

Buy a SSA Icon 12'' D1/D2 w/ a Hifonic's BXi2006i + ported box = sex.
What kind of box do you have for this bad boy?

20.5 xmax! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

sql, I'd give you that 1 but I'm not sure about going into sq with a type X.
Don't get me wrong, I won't argue with you, you seem like you know more then me, but All the type X set-ups I have heard were not in the same realm of other SQ subwoofers. I Think they "BOOM" quite a bit, and they hit fairly hard, an old buddy of mine has 2 12"s running of a rockford 2000.1bd

Rattles my teeth, but when we try to play something acoustically pleasant it just doesn't seem to wrap around the right responce. Granted his box isn't tuned for Bach, but I have heard a 10 type x in a truck enclosure, sealed, and granted it still made the little 2door s10 shake like crazy, I didn't like the quality.

but if you know of a great set-up or an enclosure to make a type X sound like a godly cheesecake from the heavens, please let me know.

*If you don't know, don't speculate.

If you wish to know, seek knowledge

If you do know, speak up and teach the world*
I dont know what to tell you. Its not magic. In the installs I have done with them, I actually notice the difference. Type r's will blow them away in loudness but the x is a much tighter (install word) all around driver imo. And its just opinions, so make sure you include that next time you give advise. Install will always be more important than equipment chosen.

And oh yeah, there is no such thing as sql //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I'll have to disagree on the type x.
Alpine is anything but SQ.

Infinity is fairly good, but their power is over rated, stated 400 RMS for a 12"

Lol please have you any real experiance with audio?

Alpine type X is SQ based sub it sounds really good.

I gave my 400rms kappa pefect over 800wrms daily and it never had a problem.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.