Best SQL/SQ sub setup for around $200 a sub?

VWBobby
10+ year member

PG and SS nuthugger
West coast
I am looking for a sub that is geared toward SQL/SQ. I've heard the Alpines in person and think they are a good mix of SQ and SPL for the price.

I have a DSC1500.1 amp.... This is going in a '65 VW Bus. I have about 3 cubes to work with. I like 12's and 15's, but I am open to suggestions. A single sub would be better for me, but can run sets of 2. I need to get my amp wired down to 1 ohm. Right now, I'm at 2 ohms and it just isn't enough output...

What would give me the most bang for the buck for SQ/SQL?

Thanks! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

opti1232d is a speaker that excels beyond its price tag, dont let the Lanzar badge fool you, its only a badge on that driver. 2.2@28 sounds awfully nice and smooth with just enough warmth to fend off any analytical anemic-ness. handles power well too.

Those are both good options.. I liked to old Eclipse Ti's when they first came out... The Lanzar's do look very impressive for the price!

Anything in the $300 range that has a FS of around 21 - 25hz? I would like to hit the real low lows with authority. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

What about the Massive Audio Hippos, Power Acoustic MOFO, or ? Looking for 1 ohm, 1500 watt RMS power handling. Looking to pull the trigger on ordering one today. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Thanks again,

-Bobby

the re audio xxx's have a very low fs, but a high $$$, the re se pro d4's have an fs of about 26hrtz. some will say that even with a higher fs, in a properly built ported enclosure, you can still murder the lows. as stated on here multiple times, the enlosure can help or hurt your output. check out dayton audio ho's, dc lvl 3's, ssa gcon's.

I have a ia flatlyne 15 many would argue that it is the top of the foodchain for sql. If u can find one used it would be some where near ur price range. Excellent sq with nasty low end output. Fs is 28 on all three driver sizes.

All good suggestions! I have always liked the '05 XXX's but they sell as soon as they pop up online...

I ended up getting the Massive Audio HIPPO 12 D2 for $254 shipped. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif There is a $15 off promo code floating around for onlinecarstereo.com. Cheapest price I was able to find. Hard to pass up for a sub that can handle 2000W and has a 96db sensitivity (although it could be exaggerated)...

All good suggestions! I have always liked the '05 XXX's but they sell as soon as they pop up online...
I ended up getting the Massive Audio HIPPO 12 D2 for $254 shipped. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif There is a $15 off promo code floating around for onlinecarstereo.com. Cheapest price I was able to find. Hard to pass up for a sub that can handle 2000W and has a 96db sensitivity (although it could be exaggerated)...
Almost everyone likes to exaggerated their sensitivity. To make things worse, they don't even tell how it was measured. Is it 1watt/1meter SPL or 2.83volt/1meter? The difference could be huge. For example, if they report 2.83volt/1meter sensitivity, then that means for subwoofer wired in parallel for 1ohm that it is seeing 8watts of power at that voltage. Therefore, the sensitivity at 1watt/1meter will be close to more like 87dB 1watt/1meter (taking into account SPL goes down by 3dB every time you halve the power) which is more like what I would expect from a 12 inch subwoofer.

If it's a 12 in a sealed box a high sensativity is the last thing you'd want. Hoffmans iron law, you can have a small box, or low end extension or sensativity, pick any 2, you lose the third. If a sub is effecient it will roll off faster due to the lower q and will need a big box, often ported to compensate. if you want low bass from a small sealed box you want the least effecient woofer you can find. You'll get less output at higher frequencies, but more down low.

I just looked up this massive audio hippo as I've seen a few references to it. I guess while I find the name silly most must like it as this thing is all marketing. It has a 34fs (not what the OP wanted) actual sensativity is 89db/1w/1m and it only has 15mm of xmax. Far from anything special in any category. For that money there are things that will kill it used and even new I think I'd go with a SSA Gcon. The hippo is a 3inch coil, but 2000 watts RMS is a little much, I think the range is 500-2000 for a reason, without good cooling most 3inch coils dont' like much over 1500.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.