What subwoofer power?

Participant count
  • Participant list

jawnn

I have a Boss car stereo that runs two 8" 40 watt speakers. But I want to add 'one' sub-woofer in simple box.

what do I look for?? A dual coil sub-woofer?

And what kind of wattage ?? are the watts listed on the speakers the max it will take or should I look for an 80watt woofer??

I think this must be the one????

Boss Audio 12" Dual 4-Ohm Voice Coil Subwoofer (One Subwoofer)

but it says:

•Power peak: 2300W

•RMS: 1150W

or should I get one that says:

•8" subwoofer

•800W max, 400W RMS

I do not want to add another amp. I live off grid in the back woods of Quimper penninsula, and power is scarce. So do I have to keep it down to 80 watts for both chaennels??

normally you dont ever buy boss when it comes to car audio, they false advertise and their products is known to not last very long, especially their subwoofers, they have a tendency to fail on the spot after a few days. Their amps say they make big power but when you test it in real life, they only make 1/10 of their power they claim.

You look for RMS ratings which is continuous power(actual power). Peak ratings are ****, they mean absolutely nothing and should be erased from your vocabulary.

you sound like your going to use this for home audio purposes though, here's a site, you should use subwoofers meant for home audio purposes, most of these woofers dont need high amounts of power for them to get loud. Pair it up with a 100 rms plate amp and you should be fine.

Home Audio Woofers, Midranges & Tweeters in the Speaker Components Department at Parts Express | 13

thats the general site for home audio purposes.

Dayton Audio SD270A-88 10" DVC Subwoofer 295-486 this one should fit the bill for you.

you dont want a subwoofer that says it can handle thousands of watts, it just means you need thousands of watts for it to do its job of getting loud and sounding good.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.