Best Coaxials Under $90?

Zripp
10+ year member

So I am in the market for upgrading my front door speakers in my honda accord. I am currently running a JL audio W3 8" sub in the trunk and cheap ($30) pioneer 2 way speakers in the front. They only handle around 30 watts RMS at 4 ohm, and my amp can put out 55 watts per channel at 4 ohms. I am looking at something with strong mids and highs to complement the sub since I listen to mainly rock and metal.

So far I am looking at..

JBL GTO608C

Polk Audio DB651

Infinity 629I

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Ok, both of these options are interesting but I have to ask, would the 55 watts that my amp could provide be enough for the 80-90 watts RMS these speakers can handle?

I have a set of brand new, not in box ID CTX6.5 coax. The frame on one was bent when I received them but I straightened it out. I can do $80 shipped. They don't have wire since I used it for another project.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CGAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sonicelectronix.com%2Fitem_22335_Image-Dynamics-CTX-65.html&ei=0C4HUJa1Fob86gGkzc3hCA&usg=AFQjCNHV33WnRh0XzYZdO1-cSeGKbgdv4Q&sig2=ECZpmBSAA4_kAVVIkpJ1vw

Last edited by a moderator:
So I am in the market for upgrading my front door speakers in my honda accord. I am currently running a JL audio W3 8" sub in the trunk and cheap ($30) pioneer 2 way speakers in the front. They only handle around 30 watts RMS at 4 ohm, and my amp can put out 55 watts per channel at 4 ohms. I am looking at something with strong mids and highs to complement the sub since I listen to mainly rock and metal.
So far I am looking at..

JBL GTO608C

Polk Audio DB651

Infinity 629I

Any input is greatly appreciated.
I have 4 Kicker 6x8 Coaxials and I'm happy with them, im not too picky about SQ though. Got two NEW pairs for 90$ total on Ebay.

May I ask what speakers you went with?
The Pioneers. I was biased towards the Bostons but they just do not provide the midbass the other 2 can put out. If you have a sub stage and midbass isn't an important factor to you, the Bostons are the best choice due to their nice tweeter and the price. But don't get me wrong, the Pioneers have a nice tweeter as well, it just takes some tweaking to get that perfect sound. The Pioneers can handle some serious power. They handle power well.

The Pioneers. I was biased towards the Bostons but they just do not provide the midbass the other 2 can put out. If you have a sub stage and midbass isn't an important factor to you, the Bostons are the best choice due to their nice tweeter and the price. But don't get me wrong, the Pioneers have a nice tweeter as well, it just takes some tweaking to get that perfect sound. The Pioneers can handle some serious power. They handle power well.
Ok, I was looking at them as well. I do have an 8inch sub that I am also using, so midbass is not a necessity for me. Did you ever look into the JBL speakers?

Such as the P662 or GTO628?

Ok, I was looking at them as well. I do have an 8inch sub that I am also using, so midbass is not a necessity for me. Did you ever look into the JBL speakers? Such as the P662 or GTO628?
Sure did. But the amount of recommendations and praise didn't add up. There was actually a thread made and those JBLs's received the least amount of votes. More people recommended staying away from them than buying them. And honestly, JBL has never been known as a company to make "great" speakers.

Sure did. But the amount of recommendations and praise didn't add up. There was actually a thread made and those JBLs's received the least amount of votes. More people recommended staying away from them than buying them. And honestly, JBL has never been known as a company to make "great" speakers.
Ok yeah I think they are more respected in the home audio area. Between the Bostons and the Pioneers, in your opinion which would use the 55watts x2 (4ohms) more efficiently? I am looking for really clean highs and solid mids as I listen to a lot of rock and metal.

Ok yeah I think they are more respected in the home audio area. Between the Bostons and the Pioneers, in your opinion which would use the 55watts x2 (4ohms) more efficiently? I am looking for really clean highs and solid mids as I listen to a lot of rock and metal.
They will both be very efficient at that wattage. Both of those speakers take WAAAAAAY more rms wattage than they have stated. The Bostons will have a little better tweeter, they will play loud and sound clean doing it. The Pioneers will also play loud, but you'll have to play with the EQ to get it to how you want the tweeter to sound. So considering those factors, I'd roll with the Boston. But then I throw in the midbass and Bostons have always been known to kinda lack in the midbass department, but they make up for it with their loud, efficient tweeters. I think you would really enjoy the Bostons. But if it were me, I would roll with the Pioneers since I like to have that midbass up front.

(For what it's worth, I listen to mainly lounge/neu jazz music. No metal, a little rock & a little hip hop. I'm a **** for loud, clear highs that can be heard from a far.)

They will both be very efficient at that wattage. Both of those speakers take WAAAAAAY more rms wattage than they have stated. The Bostons will have a little better tweeter, they will play loud and sound clean doing it. The Pioneers will also play loud, but you'll have to play with the EQ to get it to how you want the tweeter to sound. So considering those factors, I'd roll with the Boston. But then I throw in the midbass and Bostons have always been known to kinda lack in the midbass department, but they make up for it with their loud, efficient tweeters. I think you would really enjoy the Bostons. But if it were me, I would roll with the Pioneers since I like to have that midbass up front.
(For what it's worth, I listen to mainly lounge/neu jazz music. No metal, a little rock & a little hip hop. I'm a **** for loud, clear highs that can be heard from a far.)
Ok thanks a lot for the advice. I will ponder on it tomorrow and see if I can narrow this down a bit.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.