Best Budget Amp ~1200rms@1ohm

Are you just doing the math equation from the clamp voltage and amps or are you reading the ohm load at the amp. I have used a speaker as a load and never have I had a multiple of 3 as a rise on the AMM-1. At least not on a tone full blast. Playing music.. sure.
Clamp meter, volt meter, oscope, using multiple tones from 25hz to 60hz maping an impedance rise to frequency chart. Multiple real life setups with subs, enclosure and amp all inside the car ready to go. Bench testing is awesome but seeing it real world situations provides its own unique knowledge too.

Jeff, any good articles on box rise? Seems like it a guess most times. Are there factors that cause more rise than others?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Other than actually clamping multiple setups, seeing other people's clamps, competing etc... there's not much literature on it since if you just care about music, just get a big enough amp to make you happy(which means WAAAAY more than you would ever hope to need so you can keep its workload very light = clean power/signal) and dont worry too much about specific rise and focus on the enclosure efficiency.

For competing though, smaller boxes tend to have less rise. Boxes with flex will also cause higher rise. Also rise will be different for each frequency. You could have a much lower rise at 30hz than 50hz and vice versa, that will depend on your box tuning and how it interacts with the vehicle cabin. Hence when I clamp with my older setups, I actually do 25hz, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60hz and save it on an excel sheet or a notepad app on my smart phone so I can decide whether to chance half ohm with brazilians.

for example wired to 1 ohm i was rising to 5.9 ohms at 47hz which was my loudest frequency on the meter and was only rising to 2.7 ohms at 33hz which is waaaay less louder with my old two hdc18s at the D pillar setup. Box was a lot bigger than recommended hence more rise but i had efficiency so it was still loud even though I technically got less than 800 watts out of a dc 3.5k at 47hz which was super loud compared to 33hz at 1750 ish watts.

Here's some clamping mistakes people usually make when clamping

No oscope aka fully clipped number on their end depending on the person.

They only clamp their loudest frequency.

they use cheap meters and clamp tools.

Belva?... ok man...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif
It puts out more power. It's a fact. And same price.

And they are both Chinese... So no build quality advantage for the CAB.

Think op said like $140

So he has a few low end brands to pick from.

Or....try checking out a pawnshop that is mostly gun based but they do everything else, I have one I go to and if it's not a gun they don't even care to look it up and price it, I've gotten killer deals on name brand tools, fishing supplies, guitars/amps,

I remember they had a mono block fosgate like 1500bd and it was kinda weird because someone took the time to tag a price to it($99)

But they put it on a shelf behind a bunch of cheap guitar amps,

Bet I could have got it for $60 and it stayed in that hidden spot for a year.

So there are good deals out there if your willing to look.

But don't buy 1st thing you see and beware of most pawnshop because they ask prices sometimes that are more than what products cost new.

And always test before you buy!

Trying to look for a budget amp for around 140-150 for my friend. Somewhere in the 1200w or higher range. This will be for 2 10” alpine type R’s. The amps mentioned are a bit overbudget because of california tax.

Trying to look for a budget amp for around 140-150 for my friend. Somewhere in the 1200w or higher range. This will be for 2 10” alpine type R’s. The amps mentioned are a bit overbudget because of california tax.

SS tn1.1200 is right there in that range

Last edited by a moderator:

Move out of cali..

Battery and iPod/phone headphone jack that splits to rca's and a little wire you can test anything.

Take a small speaker with you.

Some of these small jumper packs they have out now would work for an amp test. Testing an amp isn't difficult at all.

I suggest not buying any of them. They are cheap stuff that don't last!

True... but not everyone can afford better stuff. Instead of making people feel bad about their current situation I would rather recommend gear that does what it says and they can afford. My Home theater has $7,000 of audio gear in it, but I'm not going to recommend to someone who can afford $400, my set up or GTFO.

As for the SS... That amp board has been pretty reliable for everyone who runs that board as a POLK, NVX, PPI, HERTZ and others...

idk, I see people blow more koreans than these cheap amps online. My ppi 4 channel has been through absolute hell and it lasted way better than my korean alphard 200.4
Yeah, my PG Ti2 2K has been finicky as hell and it's the most expensive amp I've ever bought. The Maxxsonics MBQ DSC1500.1 I replaced it with was abused and kept on ticking. It's still going in my buddy's Civic today.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.