Best 5.25 speakers

BradyT88
10+ year member

I have a 1999 Hyundai Accent the rear deck holds 5.25" speakers and the front door holds 5". It has the stock speakers and I want to replace one of the sets and then unhook the other. I want them to hav a pretty good midbass, but most importantly I want loud highs. My deck drives 18 RMS and I hav an amp that could push 75 RMS to them if need be. I hav a set fo amplified 6x9's in the back and a pair of 12" subs. I want louder highs to help balance out the system since the subs drown out everything else. What would you guys recommend getting? Any help is well appreciated. Thanks.

Ill beat everyone to it.

While I have no experience with these things, your best bet for sound quality is to ditch the 6x9s altogether and amplify a nice set of components in the front with a proper install.

I am currently trying to find out which 5.25" components I want.

That's what I've been thinking, but I'm having one hell of a time trying to decide what to get. I took the door panel apart earlier and I'm pretty sure I could install comps in it, but I'm not sure what size. Crutchfeild told me the car has 5" in the front but it has a resizing bracket on it, so I might be able to fit 6.5" in it. I'm not for sure though since I couldn't get the door all the way apart. I couldn't get the window crank off. I think it might be actually glued on there, because I couldn't pull it off and there doesn't appear to be a clip holding it on. So now I'm not sure what to do.

I couldn't get the window crank off.
There is normally a little "C" shaped loop on there. They make fancy pullers for this but you can just be careful with a screw driver and pop it off.

All things being equal, 6.5's will normally give you more midbass then 5 1/4 speakers. But what other factors influence overall volume? Well we have a few major ones including brand/model, applied power and installation.

As far as brand/model...I have no idea. It really depends upon how much $ you want to spend, what type of music you listen to, how much work you want to put into your install, etc. Throw up these details and people will be able to give you some good ideas. Additionally, components sound better but they are more expensive.

Everybody here will agree you should be amping your speakers. Amplifier are much cleaner and more powerful then head units. It should be noted though that you only gain 3 dB by doubling your power, so the jump from 14 watts to 28 watts doesn't mean you will go from 125 db to 250db.

The most important aspect of your system is the installation. A little sound deadening, secure mounting, etc will equate to big gains in output and clarity. Do some reading about how to properly install stuff. Additionally, some people like having a good sound stage/proper imaging. I won't go into this...but this is determined by your install.

It was suggested you ditch the 6x9's in the back. I wouldn't do that at this time. Normally I make recommendations against rear fill, but but since you have already have them I wouldn't take them out. The reason for not running rear fill is (1) you have more money to spend on your front speakers and (2) it is normally bad for imaging.

Hope that helps. Throw up some details about your budget, music, etc. and we should be able to help you out with some drivers.

There is normally a little "C" shaped loop on there. They make fancy pullers for this but you can just be careful with a screw driver and pop it off.
All things being equal, 6.5's will normally give you more midbass then 5 1/4 speakers. But what other factors influence overall volume? Well we have a few major ones including brand/model, applied power and installation.

As far as brand/model...I have no idea. It really depends upon how much $ you want to spend, what type of music you listen to, how much work you want to put into your install, etc. Throw up these details and people will be able to give you some good ideas. Additionally, components sound better but they are more expensive.

Everybody here will agree you should be amping your speakers. Amplifier are much cleaner and more powerful then head units. It should be noted though that you only gain 3 dB by doubling your power, so the jump from 14 watts to 28 watts doesn't mean you will go from 125 db to 250db.

The most important aspect of your system is the installation. A little sound deadening, secure mounting, etc will equate to big gains in output and clarity. Do some reading about how to properly install stuff. Additionally, some people like having a good sound stage/proper imaging. I won't go into this...but this is determined by your install.

It was suggested you ditch the 6x9's in the back. I wouldn't do that at this time. Normally I make recommendations against rear fill, but but since you have already have them I wouldn't take them out. The reason for not running rear fill is (1) you have more money to spend on your front speakers and (2) it is normally bad for imaging.

Hope that helps. Throw up some details about your budget, music, etc. and we should be able to help you out with some drivers.
This reply was a lot of help, thanks.

I 've done a lot of research on this stuff but I am still unsure of what to get, since I am nervous about buying stuff since a lot of company like to lie about their specs. Anyway, the reason I wan to upgrade the front is because I don't use my stock speakers due to poor quality and I have some Polk Audio 12's in the trunk with a 400.1 amp on them. So I have over 100db of bass and all was good with just my 6X9's. Then I learned about facing your subs to the rear. Now I can barely hear my 6X9's over the subs and music doesn't sound the great with no mids and highs.

All things being equal, 6.5's.....
^Very true, i started a thread like this not too long ago, and i was pointed toward type-x components (which i am getting) and MB Quarts. Both are supposed to be AMAZING. However if you are on a bit of a budget Pioneer REVs are supposed to be awesome as well, i just got some for a friend of mine, i havent put them in yet but they look amazing. The first two can be found on http://www.woofersect.com and the Pioneers can be found dirt cheap on http://www.etronics.com. Hope that helps.

I listen to alot of Rock from the 70's and 80's like Kiss, Ozzy, Metallica, and so on. I also like to a lot of Rap and Hip hop, and a lot of alternative rock, like

System of A Down, Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park.

I have looked at MB Quarts, but wow that's alot of money for some 6.5's. I'd rather not spend over $100. As for dampening, I just ordered 25 sq ft. for my trunk. If it helps then I will add more to the doors and what not.

Alright, so here's what I would go do. Find some local shops and go listen to as many speakers as you can. I have learned over time that there are some things that will make this process more profitable.

(1)Bring a piece of paper and write down every model you listen to and you opinions.

(2)Bring a couple of cd's that you normally listen to and listen to those. This makes everything much more equal.

(3)Don't let the salesman talk you into something. If he says brand Y is the best ever, take it with a grain of salt.

(4)Don't let the salesman run a sub and rear-fill speakers while you are auditioning. Listen to the speakers alone.

(5)Its getting to be that time of year where the new models are coming in. If somebody claims this is a good sale, then it probably is.

Also, you should be doing a lot of reading in the speaker section. There are lots of people who have been in your situation. Learn from their mistakes/successes. Please though, don't buy something without ever listening to it.

All that I own I bought without 1st listening to. Well I have a set of 10" subs, factory enclosed, really nice, just couldn't bump as hard as i would like. Upgraded to factory enclosed Polk Audio 12", incredible. I have 2 Jensen amps a 300.4 and a 400.1 I love them. My Wal-mart Lightning Audio 6"X9" really nice just aren't loud enough for my new subs. I have had 2 CD players, a cheap wal-mart HU, it was ok, Imean you can't expect much for $40. My other an expensive Clarion with 128Mb mp3 memory, love it. ...But it hasn't been all good. I bought a Lanzar amp, but not just any, it had to be a Vibe... yes call me retarded, but I didn't know any better at the time. It claims it has really high outputs, no it is a 300.4 no better than my Jensen, adn $70 more. I bought some Audiobahn 6"X9" said they could handle 225 watts RMS, hahahaha, started smoking at 150 watts RMS, fried the voice coils. Crutchfield says they can only handle 90 watts RMS, while the other 200 sites say 225, wish I would have known this ahead of time. They were nice speakers none the less, just lied about capabilities. So I decided to buy one of those 5" Boss Audio tweeters. They claim to handle 250 watts RMS and run at 6 ohms. Well I get them and they only have a 2 inch voice coil. Well I believe the voice coil can stand up to 250 watts RMS, At 150 the cone moves so much that the voice coil starts to rub on the magnet, and eventually it the voice coil get worn through and quits. So they r poorly built, but that's probably y they r so cheap.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.