Alpine or JL Audio

ewoevo
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Well, I have a set of Alpine SPX-177A's (6.5) in my car right now. They sound really good. However, I have a set of JL XR650 Csi's sitting in my garage. Are the JL's much, if any better, or should I just leave the Alpines installed? Someone with experience with both please chime in. Just for info, my car is an 06 EVO and I'm running Type R 6.5 coaxes in the rear. I haven't installed my sub yet (HC12) but hope to soon. I'm using an Avionixx 440.4 to run the speakers. Also have an Eclipse 8455 H/U.

Thanks in advance!

If you do decide to swap please tell me, pm or post, b.c I am debating between thoes two speakers. Also have you ever heard the diamond d6 comps? If so how do they compare to your type xs?

If you do decide to swap please tell me, pm or post, b.c I am debating between thoes two speakers. Also have you ever heard the diamond d6 comps? If so how do they compare to your type xs?
Im also in the same boat. Wondering how the d6's sound. Im thinking about getting the Type X's. Does anyone know if Tweeter carries Diamond??? I wouldnt buy there, I just need to hear these and there is a Tweeter near by. A local dealer sells them, but has no displays up //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

Swap them out and see what you like. They're about on the same level. I prefer the Alpines because of the tweeter. Not a fan of metal domes, even though the JLs are tamer than most. But those ring-dome radiators in the Type-X are very nice tweets.

Swap out one side and use your fader to see which sounds better. Of course, you won't be able to evaluate the "fullness" of the complete set, but with all other things being equal, you should be able to put your head near the middle of the car and have one side sound better. If you can't tell the difference, pick one set and run with it.

Swap out one side and use your fader to see which sounds better. Of course, you won't be able to evaluate the "fullness" of the complete set, but with all other things being equal, you should be able to put your head near the middle of the car and have one side sound better. If you can't tell the difference, pick one set and run with it.
That really won't give you any indication of what each will sound like. You will be listening to one off axis (driver's side) and one much more on axis (passenger side). As such they will sound totally different. You can prove what I'm talking about by playing with your fader with what you currently have installed.

That really won't give you any indication of what each will sound like. You will be listening to one off axis (driver's side) and one much more on axis (passenger side). As such they will sound totally different. You can prove what I'm talking about by playing with your fader with what you currently have installed.

I hear what you are saying, and I somewhat hinted at that in my post. I also proposed a ghetto-remedy. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

[Y]ou won't be able to evaluate the "fullness" of the complete set, but with all other things being equal, you should be able to put your head near the middle of the car and have one side sound better.
But I see your point.

Only if it's a mono signal. Most recording tend to place different tracks on the right or left channel, meaning the majority of the drums, for example, might be on the right side with most of the vocals on the left. Of course, that depends on the recording, but most engineers will arrange things that way. Doing a left-right comparison is likely comparing apples to oranges. I guess it might help a bit, but I'd be weary of making a judgment off that approach alone.

Only if it's a mono signal. Most recording tend to place different tracks on the right or left channel, meaning the majority of the drums, for example, might be on the right side with most of the vocals on the left. Of course, that depends on the recording, but most engineers will arrange things that way. Doing a left-right comparison is likely comparing apples to oranges. I guess it might help a bit, but I'd be weary of making a judgment off that approach alone.
^^^^^^^^^

I did not consider that. I sit corrected.

off axis. what are you talking about??? off of what axis? are you trying to say something about time alignment? which is the biggest joke in car stereos EVER?

the only reason it would sound weird is because it's ment to be stereo and your only sending it one side of the music.

all you do is set your amp up to take a mono signal instead of stereo. that is if you want to compare them this way. which is a bad way imo but ya.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.