Best 12" Sub for SQL, $300 or under?

AstoSoup
10+ year member

I currently have a Audiopipe TXX-AP iPipe 12, 900w RMS, dual 4ohm in a 4cu. ft. box, tuned to 24HZ. The sub is on a Hifonics BRZ-1700.1D mono block, all 1/0ga. wiring, Big 3, powered by a Kinetik HC600B, 850 amp power cell in back and a 1200CCA deep cycle up front. My head unit is a Clarion VX709 touchscreen DVD head unit. One of my voice coil leads recently fried, leaving me with the decision of which new sub to buy.

My question is, what subwoofer would produce the loudest SQL and match up to my amp, in that large of en enclosure? I am guessing that Hifonics amps do not put out quite the advertised wattage, as it is currently claiming 1200w@ 2 ohms to the AudioPipe 12. It did blow, however it took a year to do so. I am looking at these 3 models but worried the HCCA will be under powered.

Amazon.com : ORION HCCA122 12 : Component Vehicle Subwoofers : Electronics

New Optidrive 12" 2200W 2 Ohm Die Cast Car Subwoofer 068888719353 | eBay

Massive Audio Hippo 122 4000 Watt 12" Dual 2 Ohm Car Audio Subwoofer New | eBay

It does not necessarily NEED to be one of these subs, they are just what I have found most compatible thus far. ANY and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. Again, I am looking for the lowest, loudest bass I can possibly produce with the setup I have. Did not want to spend much more than $300 on a sub but again, ANY suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

First time ever seeing one of those, they sure are different lol. Looking on Youtube, the Boston's seem to be flexing pretty **** good but unfortunately I'm not sure if my finances will yield $450 :/ I also plan on raising my tuning frequency up to around 32Hz (I have a round port, adjustable), as my frequency response is flattened a lot at 24.5Hz. Any frequency above 33Hz is almost non existent :/

Have you considered cutting another hole and putting two 12s into that box, or one 15?
This. 4 cubes is HUGE for a 12. And 24hz is very low. From what I've seen, tuning any lower than 30hz is not worth it. You lose too much high end without getting any much more low end.

The box used to have two 12's, I made it into a single enclosure. I thought about going with a 15, but the enclosure height is not enough to accommodate the 15. If I put the sub in a smaller enclosure, say 2 cu ft., it will not hit low frequencies at all. Not sure what the Fs is on the sub, but I'm guessing it is pretty high. I can take the board off the front and put another 12 back in, but I would have to relocate my port. This wouldn't be TOO big of a deal, if there were a pair of 12's for around $300 that would be worth it. I agree, the tuning is FAR too low, only really hitting the lowest of frequencies. I plan on raising it to at least 32Hz very soon. If I did make it back into a box for two 12's, I have two questions. 1, Would the chambers need to be seperated and have two port tubes, or could I leave it open inside and use one port? 2, Would two Alpine Type R's be louder than say one Orion HCCA? Really do not want to build another enclosure right now so with the box tuned at 32Hz, which sub/subs would everyone recommend? Thank you all for the responses, your help is greatly appreciated!

Quite frankly there is nothing tying you to that box. Now would be the time to shop for a decent sub and have a new box built. No need to hold on to frankenbox any longer if you can help it. You speak of SQ, but there is not way in the world that you can say with certainty that it'll be good for any new sub you get.

I say you look at DSS and look to getting a new box made. Just my 2 cents. The 15 requires 3cuft and the 12 only 1.5cuft

http://www.directsoundsolutions.com/ethos/

The front baffle is only 14" tall overall, so there is just not enough room to expand the hole for a 15. I also have a 2 cu ft, slot ported prefab box, tuned to 38Hz. With my sub in that box, frequencies under 40Hz were very faint and LOW frequencies are my goal. Of course I believe at that time, the lead had already fried on my sub, leaving me with one voice coil active :/ I did have one other option, that is to put an entirely new 1" baffle covering both 12" holes and have one 15 facing up, with the round port facing back. I would like to know if the partially blown sub had anything to do with the frequency response in the 2 cube box, maybe that would be my best bet. So back to my original inquiry, what gets the loudest SPL, two lower wattage 12's, or one higher wattage 15? I totally LOATH building boxes and loath slot ports even more, due to lack of skill in constructing them lol. If I have to change enclosures, I will.... But would like to find the right sub for this 4 cube. Will check out the DSS subs and will take a pic of both enclosures and post them in a moment. Thanks again everyone!

Also, I have seen the Power Acoustik MOFO 15's hit really hard.... Anyone have an input on these subs? Reason I ask is because I have a Newegg Preffered Account and if I use that to purchase the sub, I could afford to buy/build a new enclosure //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

45's as in corner braces? I was thinking of doing that anyways. The box is 1" MDF as it is but more support can never hurt! How much airspace will I shave off by using these?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.