Best 12" Sub for SQL, $300 or under?

Also, I have seen the Power Acoustik MOFO 15's hit really hard.... Anyone have an input on these subs? Reason I ask is because I have a Newegg Preffered Account and if I use that to purchase the sub, I could afford to buy/build a new enclosure //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Garbage

45's as in corner braces? I was thinking of doing that anyways. The box is 1" MDF as it is but more support can never hurt! How much airspace will I shave off by using these?
Depends on how big you make them. Ideally you can make them rather large. And get the box down to 2-2.5^3

Apparently you have to upload your photos to an image hosting service and Facebook photos will not work.... Here is the same box before it was carpeted, slamming in my Malibu at 32Hz. Hope this helps.

- Setup in my Malibu, when port was tuned to 32Hz.
Sub STILL flexes my entire Explorer roof, even with a fried VC lead. Need louder though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

View attachment 26550070View attachment 26550071

Apparently you have to upload your photos to an image hosting service and Facebook photos will not work.... Here is the same box before it was carpeted, slamming in my Malibu at 32Hz. Hope this helps.

If you need louder. Then you need a better sub. Something that takes more power. But you also need to have he electrical to back the sub. I have such a sub. But you need more cash

Well louder than one Audiopipe Ipipe 12 with one voice coil shouldn't be too hard to beat lol. My electrical is pretty sound, Big 3 helped a lot there and with the Kinetik cell and the large battery under the hood, with 1/0, I don't see a lot more I can do besides add more batteries lol. About the amp, I have heard both positive and negative reviews. Some say it will not put out anywhere near 1700RMS, others say it is underrated. You seem pretty knowledgeable, what is your view on the BRZ-1700.1D? That said, would the new style MOFO 15 be a vast improvement over the Ipipe 12, in that box? If not, maybe an Alpine Type R? The 900w RMS iPipe's were only like $110 each, brand new. When ran in series off the BRZ @1ohm, one sub blew within 4 months. I then raised impedance to 2ohm, delivering 1200 (claimed) RMS to the one iPipe. This sub took the abuse for over a year, before the voice coil lead finally fried in half. So any sub within the $200-$300 range should more than out do the iPipe, correct?

One more question for everyone. Is facing the sub up and the port back, rather than firing both towards the back going to change anything? Will I hear the cone noise a lot? Do not want to get TOO dirty in my quest for SPL lol

Placement if the sub depends on the car. That pic of that sub is a brand new neo sub just built it's 3500 rms. the brz amp. Is ok at best does rated. Not even close dirty power to

It's a 2003 Ford Explorer. I don't even have half that RMS, lol. 1700W at BEST from the Hifonics :/ Was going to refab the box to house one 15 on the top, with the port where it is now. If I kept a 12, was thinkin RE Audio SXX 12, Lanzar Optidrive 12, a Soundstream R1.124 12 or if I went with a 15, a Soundstream SPLX 15. These are all affordable and can be obtained using my line of credit lol. Which of these is the highest quality and would be worth buying another to pair it with? Thanks

It's a 2003 Ford Explorer. I don't even have half that RMS, lol. 1700W at BEST from the Hifonics :/ Was going to refab the box to house one 15 on the top, with the port where it is now. If I kept a 12, was thinkin RE Audio SXX 12, Lanzar Optidrive 12, a Soundstream R1.124 12 or if I went with a 15, a Soundstream SPLX 15. These are all affordable and can be obtained using my line of credit lol. Which of these is the highest quality and would be worth buying another to pair it with? Thanks
Block off the old holes and make a 15" hole. Add some 45's like originally suggested to shrink to around 3cuft and get an Ethos. They do lay-away if you'd prefer 2 12's and they won't be ready until October some time anyways.

The front panel of the enclosure where the 12 hole is, is not tall enough to make a 15 hole. Would it be ok to put the 15 on the top of the box and fire the port back as it is now? And if I can have enough patience to wait,lol.... the Ethos look pretty sound for the price. If I can't wait, Would a Soundstream SPLX 15 or a Power Acoustik MOFO 15 be a big improvement over the iPipe? I know a lot of people hate the MOFO's and complain about sound quality but I have seen them get VERY low. Just want to make sure whatever I do purchase, is going to be a noticeable improvement over the iPipe 12. I also have begun building my braces and will post pics when I can. I also have a video of my current setup in the Explorer, flexing the roof with one dead voice coil lol

The front panel of the enclosure where the 12 hole is, is not tall enough to make a 15 hole. Would it be ok to put the 15 on the top of the box and fire the port back as it is now? And if I can have enough patience to wait,lol.... the Ethos look pretty sound for the price. If I can't wait, Would a Soundstream SPLX 15 or a Power Acoustik MOFO 15 be a big improvement over the iPipe? I know a lot of people hate the MOFO's and complain about sound quality but I have seen them get VERY low. Just want to make sure whatever I do purchase, is going to be a noticeable improvement over the iPipe 12. I also have begun building my braces and will post pics when I can. I also have a video of my current setup in the Explorer, flexing the roof with one dead voice coil lol
Sub up port back is what over 80 percent of setups consist of in SUV's so yes it'll work fine. FWIW those subs you mention won't hold a candle to the Ethos. I actually meant to say cut a hole in the top btw. The other option since you would have to wait anyways is to go with 2 12's and no cutting involved

Thank you for clearing that up, I never really knew if facing the sub up was a good idea. I could probably grab two Alpine Type-R 12's or two Power Acoustik MOFO 12's. Out of all the subs I have mentioned though, is it safe to say any one of them will be considerably louder than my iPipe? Will post a vid in a minute, one voice coil lead is fried in half, leaving one voice coil in tact and it is flexing my roof at 1200W RMS@ 2 ohms. I kind of wanted to spend my cash on some sound deadening, new mids and an amp for my mids so I would like to order subs/sub from Newegg, where I have credit lol. Could anyone tell me which of the following setups would be best with my amp?

(1) MOFO 15 (2 ohm)

(1) Soundstream SPLX 15 (2 ohm)

(1) RE Audio SXX 12 (4 ohm)

(1) Lanzar Optidrive 12 (2 ohm)

(2) MOFO 12's (2 ohm ea.)

(2) Alpine Type-R 12's (4 ohm ea.)

Will not be ordering anything for a few weeks so if I come into a windfall of cash, The Ethos looks like it's about the loudest 12 within reason. Compared to my one iPipe however, which above configuration do you think would produce the most SPL? I am most interested in the MOFO 15, I seen two of these hitting 148.8 and I wish to do a wall with 4. 15's down the road so this would be a great start. Thanks for all of the info everyone, very much appreciated!

That is my current setup. Camera was dying so I didn't have time for a walk around and it didn't pick up the flex as well as the first vid, but that's pretty much what i'm trying to out do. Whatever setup above will be the loudest in comparison to this, is what i'm looking for.

I ended up picking up a MOFO 15, with money left over for some new Rockford 8" component mid ranges w/ tweeters, to match the other 4 tweeters I have and my Rockford component 5 1/4's, all off Rockford component crossovers. The MOFO calls for my EXACT box specs, and the EXACT amount of RMS power my amp delivers, and is known for LOW bass. If I don't like it, I can return it hassle free and try another sub until I get it right lol. With the right box, amp and electrical and the all new 1/0 connectors I ordered, this SHOULD get down pretty good. Thanks for the help on the port facing and for your time. I will post vids if it sounds good //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.