Best 12 or 15 in $150ish range

Clifff150

Senior VIP Member
Jan 10, 2012
Texas
I personally hate the ribbed surround. Looks tacky to me but I also think Dayton subs are super sexy

jt4x4

CarAudio.com Well Known
Jul 22, 2019
ND
I agree it looks dumb. I can't imagine how it's actually functional. Type R ribbing that runs the circumference of the surround makes sense, though.

I'm anti- american bass because I think it's false advertising to have "American" in the name when the products are made overseas.

Reactions: bgowdy
OP
bgowdy

bgowdy

HE NEEDS SOME MILK
Apr 7, 2011
Campbellsville, Ky
just letting you know, you wont be seeing prices like you are normally used to anytime soon. Inflation hit the car audio market hard since the last time you were around.
Gotcha I was looking at skar some(I know I know people hate skar but I've never had issues with what I have owned). They seem to have some pretty good deals and the ddx is solid for it price IMO. Some popped up local that has a pair of Punch Hx2s and I'm curious about those now. I pretty sure it's not the big hx2 though

Coolhand20th

CarAudio.com VIP
Mar 27, 2019
Wisconsin
I think the only reason anyone picks the tnt’s over dd’s is the budget issue. All that aside, are you unhappy with your pair of 1044’s, what power did you end up putting on them, and what are your enclosure specs?

I haven't even powered them up yet and yes it was a budget issue for me. I am finishing up the box later on today finally hopefully by putting the carpet on it, then installing the subwoofers tomorrow or tuesday when I feel like getting around to it. I had a few days here and there with rain not too mention in my situation I can't do a lot so I have been taking my time over the last month with it. It is mainly done now other then carpet. It is 2.5 cubic feet at 37hz for the music I listen to. And as far as power I ordered the CAB-22 but it comes at the end of next month. For now I will just break them in on the PPI 1000.1 and go from there. I have other stuff to do as well like installing silverflutes & the alpine tweeters once they come in sometimes end of October. If I get to it that is all depends on the weather around here.

Last edited:

THATpurpleKUSH

Smoke weed everyday
10+ year member
Sep 30, 2009
Slums of the Shaolin
Why they only rated 500 EMS with a 3" coil
Could be many reasons:

Marketing

Lower rating for fewer warranty claims

The coil is cheap and can't handle the typical 800-1k that a 3in coil usually does.

There are a lot of people running Resilient Sounds at shows around Ohio, Michigan and Indiana over the last few years. I have yet to hear anything bad about them and have seen a lot of builds with multiples of the entry level series. Their entry level line is an alternative to the Sundown E series in terms of overall value- versatility, performance and build (overbuilt) quality.

Reactions: bgowdy

THATpurpleKUSH

Smoke weed everyday
10+ year member
Sep 30, 2009
Slums of the Shaolin
Are you opposed to something like 4 10s or 12s of some <$50 subs?

I have some in mind that would do pretty decent.

By decent I mean the 143+ out of the trunk I managed with only 2 of these 10s on a Orion 1500 at 2 ohms and that was just dropping it in with almost zero testing (55deg ambient air might have helped, not sure how much air temp affects spl)

20190428_182857.jpg

You could do 4 12s for about $160 🤣

I'm pretty sure that caliber has enough space for them.

Last edited:
OP
bgowdy

bgowdy

HE NEEDS SOME MILK
Apr 7, 2011
Campbellsville, Ky
And, the XD is cheaper than the Elite. The OP should spend the extra $30-$40 and get the XFL IMO.
Are you opposed to something like 4 10s or 12s of some <$50 subs?

I have some in mind that would do pretty decent.

By decent I mean the 143+ out of the trunk I managed with only 2 of these 10s on a Orion 1500 at 2 ohms and that was just dropping it in with almost zero testing (55deg ambient air might have helped, not sure how much air temp affects spl)

View attachment 23549

You could do 4 12s for about $160 🤣

I'm pretty sure that caliber has enough space for them.
What subs

THATpurpleKUSH

Smoke weed everyday
10+ year member
Sep 30, 2009
Slums of the Shaolin
What subs
Blaupunkt GBW101 and GBW120

Stupid cheap things but they get loud and don't sound bad either.

You used to be able to get the 10s for around $20 and the 12s for #25-30 but the China tariffs shot the prices up. The 8s used to be had for $13! I think I own something like 8 8s, 8 10s and 6 of the 12s, I stocked up when they were cheap lol. The 10s and 12s perform as well as stuff that sells around the $100 range.

Bobbytwonames

Conspiracy Theorist
Aug 28, 2018
Kicker was doing this back when their woofers were still built by Credence in the USA.

American made parts, mainly coils, in house first world assembly, and actual R&D.
But everybody likes Korean amps. So, Korean amps are o.k., but foreign subs aren't? That makes perfect sense. I guess that you don't like Alpine, Focal, Hertz, Dayton, Pioneer, Sony, Crescendo, DC, Polk, JBL either. Just to name a few.

• Dislike
Reactions: THATpurpleKUSH

Clifff150

Senior VIP Member
Jan 10, 2012
Texas
But everybody likes Korean amps. So, Korean amps are o.k., but foreign subs aren't? That makes perfect sense. I guess that you don't like Alpine, Focal, Hertz, Dayton, Pioneer, Sony, Crescendo, DC, Polk, JBL either. Just to name a few.
What? He didn’t say AB is garbage. He is stating why DD is superior to AB.

Bobbytwonames

Conspiracy Theorist
Aug 28, 2018
What? He didn’t say AB is garbage. He is stating why DD is superior to AB.
He stated it's better because it's made in America and has first World assembly. There is a lot of fine car audio assembled outside of the states. He also apparently knows that AB doesn't do any R&D. DD reminds me of JL, you pay about 30% for the name.

• Dislike
Reactions: THATpurpleKUSH

Clifff150

Senior VIP Member
Jan 10, 2012
Texas
You pay for quality. They aren’t catalog shopping and put money into R&D to advance products. Once they do this, these build houses whore out the R&D outcomes and make it available to companies like AB. As far as I know, AB does no actual R&D.

I’ll hate on JL pricing any day but I give them credit for all of the innovation and quality (I run some of their amps and love them)

Last edited:

Bobbytwonames

Conspiracy Theorist
Aug 28, 2018
Man you are waaaay too invested in American (chinese) Bass.
I like a lot of different subs. And, have run many of them. Alpine, JL, Kicker, and Dayton. So, I really don't understand where you're coming from. I can't recommend any of those other subs to this OP due to his budget. I'm trying to understand why people think Chinese subs are bad, but Korean amps are great?

Bobbytwonames

Conspiracy Theorist
Aug 28, 2018
You pay for quality. They aren’t catalog shopping and put money into R&D to advance products. Once they do this, these build houses whore out the R&D outcomes and make it available to companies like AB. As far as I know, AB does no actual R&D.

I’ll hate on JL pricing any day but I give them credit for all of the innovation and quality (I run some of their amps and love them)
I ran a JL W6 12" and then switched to an XFL 12" and it was night and day. The XFL basically embarrassed that W6. Same amp on both of them.

Clifff150

Senior VIP Member
Jan 10, 2012
Texas
I ran a JL W6 12" and then switched to an XFL 12" and it was night and day. The XFL basically embarrassed that W6. Same amp on both of them.
W6 and XFL are VERY different woofers. Knowing you like the XFL better shows you like output more than sound quality (nothing wrong with that). I’m personally more into SQ than SPL but that may change when I can actually run a big setup.

hispls

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Sep 10, 2009
Central Maine
But everybody likes Korean amps.
Because Korea = China and PCB manufacturing = loudspeaker manufacturing. Also implying """everybody""".
I guess that you don't like Alpine, Focal, Hertz, Dayton, Pioneer, Sony, Crescendo, DC, Polk, JBL either.
I guess you like hyperbole a lot, but no, personally I wouldn't run any of those companies current line of subs myself and if my subs vanished tomorrow I'd be trying to get my hands on some DD.
Also implying that a company like Alpine or Harmon International who owns their own factory in the far east, does their own in house R&D here, and tightly controls QC in their overseas facilities = just getting your brand name slapped on something out of a catalog from JLD.
DD reminds me of JL, you pay about 30% for the name.
Yeah, you keep telling yourself that. But if you believe you can make the exact same quality equipment here in the USA and support your brick and mortar dealers for 30% cheaper you should start up your own audio company and put those other guys out of business.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)