Rookie

Participant count
  • Participant list

rsrguy

CarAudio.com Recruit
Hey there folks, I'm new to the hobby and the site. I'd always wanted to put systems into my cars but kids and bills always came first.... The kids are out of the house now so the Hobby is second only to bills now.

I'm putting a system into my old 911.
Goals are
Lifelike separated sound (using separates)
Not cut the dash (remote mounted Hu phone controlled)
Tight accurate base with occasional punch

Right now I'm looking pretty hard at cdt's MiniMax active sub..
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Anyone use the mini max yet?

Right now I'm looking pretty hard at cdt's MiniMax active sub..
I've only used CDT tweeters myself but they've performed great for the money both sets I've owned, I'd have good hopes from their other products. That said I don't terribly trust all-in-one sub solutions but if you don't have much room and have reasonable expectations it may be fine for you. Keep in mind subwoofer duty is ONLY 20-80hz which is a tiny piece of bandwidth, and you will want some EQ and time alignment to get really good sound anyway which can correct a lot.

More important in good sound is getting a good quality source unit (one with 30 band EQ and time alignment for preference), from there, less is more. One good quality set of 2 way components up front (kickpanels are a great place if you can get them there) or if you must mount in doors doing sound deadening and sealing will be well worth the cost and extra effort. In general spending some time and budget sound deadening anywhere is always a good investment, though there is definitely a point of diminishing returns.

Good luck and enjoy your midlife crisis!

I'm planning on it! Looks like they have an interesting 6x9 sub option, I wonder if that will fit in the shelf mount speaker enclosure..
Is there any reason to not put the subs up higher in the cabin?

Well, I committed to a head unit for my project

Just ordered the KMM-BT728HD. I have a set of Blaupunkt separates I'll be mounting in the kick panels.
Currently I'm looking at the cdt 6x9 subs (ordering later this week) the epicenter and an amp dsp combo. I haven't come to a conclusion on the dash speakers as of right now.

I'm somewhat excited about the Kenwood HU at this point as it's a fraction of the cost of the retro sound units, has more features and I can run it remotely by app on my phone, so its going in the glove box.

At this point I'll be using a radio block off and fixing the trim vinyl.... so radio delete!

the epicenter
This is a bad idea to use on such small woofers and honestly I did not like the audiocontrol epicenter because it seemed to be either nothing or too much with the "restored" bass. I'd suggest Zed Audio Ra for similar feature with better control (if you can still find them). But again, those low frequencies require a lot of displacement which few small diameter subs are going to take well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.